From: Baron on
Mark Hobley Inscribed thus:

> I am currently using three mobile broadband internet. I have
> reconfigured my system to use their mobile broadband mail relay
> smtp-mbb.three.co.uk

Most if not all ISP, 3 included block port 25 to all except their
authenticated users. Use an alternative port.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Mark Hobley on
On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 10:39:33 +0000, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:

> However, what might be interesting to you is that you may have another
> choice. My mail relay, rather than port 25 (smtp), uses 587
> (submission). This is becoming more and more common as a port which is
> not blocked by end user networks; the idea being that only authenticated
> or otherwise trusted user agents' connections will be accepted, so it's
> can't be the direct source of a spam run attack on a network.

Hmmm, the three mobile network detects that I am using a three mobile
broadband modem (I guess via hardware authentication), so there is no
authentication client side.

I am not sure how to switch to port 587 (in this case my mail client is
Debian reportbug, which makes a direct connection via smtp.)

> You may wish to check whether you have access to such a service (or
> whether you can gain access), and whether three block it (I would guess
> not).

Right. I am looking into this.

Mark.

--
/local/home/mark/.Signature

From: Mark Hobley on
On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 11:08:17 +0000, Nigel Wade wrote:

> It's not possible to tell from that output, but does the text sent end
> with a line containing only a single "."? If not the MTA will be
> expecting more of the message to be sent.

Right. I have managed to prevent the system trace tool from truncating
the output. The tail end reads as follows:

\r\n\r\n-- no debconf information\r\n.\r\n", 4640, 0) = 4640
30818 recv(4, ^

I guess that the single dot is being sent. I will try and fire up some
sort of packet sniffer on this, to check that there is not some fallover
during transmission.

Mark.

--
/local/home/mark/.Signature

From: Tony Houghton on
In <hunq58$2qp3$1(a)adenine.netfront.net>,
Mark Hobley <markhobley(a)yahoo.donottypethisbit.co> wrote:

> I am currently using three mobile broadband internet. I have reconfigured
> my system to use their mobile broadband mail relay smtp-mbb.three.co.uk
>
> When I attempt to use the Debian reportbug tool, the reportbug tool
> freezes, before any bugs can be reported.

If reportbug is the only affected application you could think about
trying the --mutt/-M option as a workaround.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
From: Mark Hobley on
On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 13:17:59 +0200, Pascal Hambourg wrote:

>> If I telnet the smtp port on the server, and paste the appropriate data
>> from the bug report, then the mail server works just fine, and I get a
>> response, before the mail is submitted normally.
>
> With exact same data ?

As practicable as possible. I use copy and paste to take the data from
various applications. There might be some strange things like line endings
changing (Does telnet output CRLF at line end, or something else?).
There are also some implementation problems with X11 applications using
different clipboards. Sometimes the middle click does not work, and I
have to open an alternative application to open the data in order to
obtain a paste facility.

I'll try and get a packet sniffer to see if I can identify the
differences, between the telnet session and the debian reportbug session.

> As already said, you could probably use a relay that allows connection
> on the submission port (587).

I don't know how to make that switch in reportbug, but I am investigating
that.

Mark.

--
/local/home/mark/.Signature