From: Mark Hobley on
I am currently using three mobile broadband internet. I have reconfigured
my system to use their mobile broadband mail relay smtp-mbb.three.co.uk

When I attempt to use the Debian reportbug tool, the reportbug tool
freezes, before any bugs can be reported.

I have performed a system trace, and it appears that after completion of
the bug report, the reportbug tool is waiting for a response from the stmp
server, but no response ever appears:

send(4, "ehlo venus.markhobley.yi.org\r\n", 30, 0) = 30 recv(4,
"250-three.co.uk mail relay -= NO"..., 8192, 0) = 84 send(4, "mail
FROM:<markhobley(a)yahoo.dono"..., 36, 0) = 36 recv(4, "250 ok\r\n", 8192,
0) = 8 send(4, "rcpt TO:<submit(a)bugs.debian.org>"..., 34, 0) = 34
recv(4, "250 ok\r\n", 8192, 0) = 8 send(4, "rcpt
TO:<markhobley(a)yahoo.donott"..., 34, 0) = 34 recv(4, "250 ok\r\n", 8192,
0) = 8 send(4, "data\r\n", 6, 0) = 6 recv(4, "354
go ahead\r\n", 8192, 0) = 14 send(4, "Content-Type: text/plain;
charse"..., 3551, 0) = 3551 recv(4,
^

I am waiting forever here, because no response is ever received.

If I telnet the smtp port on the server, and paste the appropriate data
from the bug report, then the mail server works just fine, and I get a
response, before the mail is submitted normally.

I wonder if anyone else is noticing this. Three mobile is a real pain,
because outgoing smtp is blocked to any other provider "for security
reasons", so my only choice is to use their relay. (My mobile broadband
modem is locked to the three mobile network, so changing provider is not
easy.)

--
/local/home/mark/.Signature

From: Dominic Hargreaves on
In uk.comp.os.linux Mark Hobley <markhobley(a)yahoo.donottypethisbit.co> wrote:
> I am currently using three mobile broadband internet. I have reconfigured
> my system to use their mobile broadband mail relay smtp-mbb.three.co.uk
>
> When I attempt to use the Debian reportbug tool, the reportbug tool
> freezes, before any bugs can be reported.

[snip mail server debugging info]

> I wonder if anyone else is noticing this. Three mobile is a real pain,
> because outgoing smtp is blocked to any other provider "for security
> reasons", so my only choice is to use their relay. (My mobile broadband
> modem is locked to the three mobile network, so changing provider is not
> easy.)

I use three, but not their mail server (didn't even know they had one
and probably wouldn't want to use it anyway - I like to keep my
connectivity providers and other service providers separate as much as
possible - and I provide my own services in many cases :). In general I
use offlineimap and a local exim4 instance on my laptop when I'm roaming,
which uses an authenticated SMTP relay.

However, what might be interesting to you is that you may have another
choice. My mail relay, rather than port 25 (smtp), uses 587 (submission).
This is becoming more and more common as a port which is not blocked by
end user networks; the idea being that only authenticated or otherwise
trusted user agents' connections will be accepted, so it's can't be the
direct source of a spam run attack on a network.

You may wish to check whether you have access to such a service (or
whether you can gain access), and whether three block it (I would guess
not).

From: Nigel Wade on
On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 10:24:41 +0000, Mark Hobley wrote:

> I am currently using three mobile broadband internet. I have
> reconfigured my system to use their mobile broadband mail relay
> smtp-mbb.three.co.uk
>
> When I attempt to use the Debian reportbug tool, the reportbug tool
> freezes, before any bugs can be reported.
>
> I have performed a system trace, and it appears that after completion of
> the bug report, the reportbug tool is waiting for a response from the
> stmp server, but no response ever appears:
>
> send(4, "ehlo venus.markhobley.yi.org\r\n", 30, 0) = 30 recv(4,
> "250-three.co.uk mail relay -= NO"..., 8192, 0) = 84 send(4, "mail
> FROM:<markhobley(a)yahoo.dono"..., 36, 0) = 36 recv(4, "250 ok\r\n", 8192,
> 0) = 8 send(4, "rcpt TO:<submit(a)bugs.debian.org>"..., 34, 0) =
> 34 recv(4, "250 ok\r\n", 8192, 0) = 8 send(4, "rcpt
> TO:<markhobley(a)yahoo.donott"..., 34, 0) = 34 recv(4, "250 ok\r\n", 8192,
> 0) = 8 send(4, "data\r\n", 6, 0) = 6 recv(4, "354
> go ahead\r\n", 8192, 0) = 14 send(4, "Content-Type: text/plain;
> charse"..., 3551, 0) = 3551 recv(4,
> ^
> |
> I am waiting forever here, because no response is ever received.
>
> If I telnet the smtp port on the server, and paste the appropriate data
> from the bug report, then the mail server works just fine, and I get a
> response, before the mail is submitted normally.
>
> I wonder if anyone else is noticing this. Three mobile is a real pain,
> because outgoing smtp is blocked to any other provider "for security
> reasons", so my only choice is to use their relay. (My mobile broadband
> modem is locked to the three mobile network, so changing provider is not
> easy.)

It's not possible to tell from that output, but does the text sent end
with a line containing only a single "."? If not the MTA will be
expecting more of the message to be sent.

--
Nigel Wade

From: Pascal Hambourg on
Hello,

Mark Hobley a �crit :
> I am currently using three mobile broadband internet. I have reconfigured
> my system to use their mobile broadband mail relay smtp-mbb.three.co.uk
>
> When I attempt to use the Debian reportbug tool, the reportbug tool
> freezes, before any bugs can be reported.
>
> I have performed a system trace, and it appears that after completion of
> the bug report, the reportbug tool is waiting for a response from the stmp
> server, but no response ever appears:
>
> send(4, "ehlo venus.markhobley.yi.org\r\n", 30, 0) = 30 recv(4,
> "250-three.co.uk mail relay -= NO"..., 8192, 0) = 84 send(4, "mail
> FROM:<markhobley(a)yahoo.dono"..., 36, 0) = 36 recv(4, "250 ok\r\n", 8192,
> 0) = 8 send(4, "rcpt TO:<submit(a)bugs.debian.org>"..., 34, 0) = 34
> recv(4, "250 ok\r\n", 8192, 0) = 8 send(4, "rcpt
> TO:<markhobley(a)yahoo.donott"..., 34, 0) = 34 recv(4, "250 ok\r\n", 8192,
> 0) = 8 send(4, "data\r\n", 6, 0) = 6 recv(4, "354
> go ahead\r\n", 8192, 0) = 14 send(4, "Content-Type: text/plain;
> charse"..., 3551, 0) = 3551 recv(4,
> ^
> |
> I am waiting forever here, because no response is ever received.

Final line with "." sent ?
Could you check with a packet sniffer whether all data segments sent are
ACKed by the server ?

> If I telnet the smtp port on the server, and paste the appropriate data
> from the bug report, then the mail server works just fine, and I get a
> response, before the mail is submitted normally.

With exact same data ?

> I wonder if anyone else is noticing this. Three mobile is a real pain,
> because outgoing smtp is blocked to any other provider "for security
> reasons", so my only choice is to use their relay.

As already said, you could probably use a relay that allows connection
on the submission port (587).
From: Theo Markettos on
In uk.comp.os.linux Dominic Hargreaves <dom(a)earth.li> wrote:
[port 587]
> You may wish to check whether you have access to such a service (or
> whether you can gain access), and whether three block it (I would guess
> not).

They don't. In fact they explicitly suggest this, which implies that the
port 25 block is just to prevent floods of spam from compromised machines.

Theo