From: Tim Roberts on
Dave Angel <davea(a)ieee.org> wrote:

>Tim Roberts wrote:
>>
>> No. The multi-thread-aware CRT in Visual C++ (which is the only option
>> since VS2008) puts errno in thread-local storage, so it's shared by all
>> CRTs.
>>
>I didn't know specifically that errno is in TLS, but I will disagree
>with the conclusion that a TLS entry is implicitly shared by all CRT's.
>Unless the CRT for each DLL explicitly does some extra work to allow
>sharing, each will have its own set of TLS variables.

Yes, I should have thought about this before posting. I checked the CRT
source code, and you are correct. Every DLL that calls the C run-time
startup code will do its own TlsAlloc.
--
Tim Roberts, timr(a)probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
From: sturlamolden on
On 9 Jul, 02:02, Neil Hodgson <nyamatongwe+thun...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>    If you break the rules by using malloc rather than IMalloc for memory
> that is deallocated by a different component to that which allocated it
> or try to pass around FILE* objects then you will see failures.

Yes, the CRT issue applies to COM as well. COM developers are even
less aware of this than Python developers.

> So,
> always follow the COM rules.

Or just avoid COM...

From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro on
In message <mailman.323.1278440923.1673.python-list(a)python.org>, Robert Kern
wrote:

> There are also utilities for mounting ISOs directly without burning them
> to a physical disk.

You need special utilities to do this??
From: Robert Kern on
> In message<mailman.323.1278440923.1673.python-list(a)python.org>, Robert Kern
> wrote:
>
>> There are also utilities for mounting ISOs directly without burning them
>> to a physical disk.
>
> You need special utilities to do this??

On at least some versions of Windows, Yes.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

From: Grant Edwards on
On 2010-07-24, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo(a)geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <mailman.323.1278440923.1673.python-list(a)python.org>, Robert Kern
> wrote:
>
>> There are also utilities for mounting ISOs directly without burning
>> them to a physical disk.
>
> You need special utilities to do this??

Not if the OS and VFS are competently designed. In Linux all you need
to do is this:

mount -o loop /path/to/file.iso /mount/point

Apparently you've got to jump through all sorts of hoops using 3rd
party software to do something analgous in MS Windows.

--
Grant