From: Tim Roberts on
sturlamolden <sturlamolden(a)yahoo.no> wrote:

>Just a little reminder:
>
>Microsoft has withdrawn VS2008 in favor of VS2010.

Nonsense. They have released VS2010, but they certainly have not
"withdrawn" VS2008, and I have heard of no plans to do so.

>The express version is also unavailable for download. >:((

Also nonsense. Get it from right here:
http://www.microsoft.com/express/downloads/

Note the three tabs: VS2010, SQL Server R2, and VS2008.
--
Tim Roberts, timr(a)probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
From: Stephen Hansen on
On 7/6/10 11:21 PM, Tim Roberts wrote:
> sturlamolden <sturlamolden(a)yahoo.no> wrote:
>>
>> Just a little reminder:
>>
>> Microsoft has withdrawn VS2008 in favor of VS2010.
>
> Nonsense. They have released VS2010, but they certainly have not
> "withdrawn" VS2008, and I have heard of no plans to do so.

Its not nonsense; Microsoft has historically made unavailable fairly
quickly previous versions of the suite after a new release is out. There
hasn't been any serious notification of this before it happens.

The concern here is not at all without precedent. There has been some
very real pain for Python extension authors/maintainers directly related
to what compilers and SDK's Microsoft makes available: generally, Python
is 'behind' the times of what's the latest version of VS and their SDK
that is available.

>> The express version is also unavailable for download. >:((
>
> Also nonsense. Get it from right here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/express/downloads/
>
> Note the three tabs: VS2010, SQL Server R2, and VS2008.

Again, not nonsense.

That's available now. However, very real experience has made certain
people *very* reasonably cautious about when "now" becomes "the past" in
this situation: what is available now may change as soon as tomorrow or
later with very little real notice.

Yeah, you can get a MSDN subscription and get access to a lot. Lots of
people can't afford that just to compile an extension they support.

--

Stephen Hansen
... Also: Ixokai

From: Jonathan Hartley on
On Jul 6, 4:50 pm, sturlamolden <sturlamol...(a)yahoo.no> wrote:
> Just a little reminder:
>
> Microsoft has withdrawn VS2008 in favor of VS2010. The express version
> is also unavailable for download. >:((
>
> We can still get a VC++ 2008 compiler required to build extensions for
> the official Python 2.6 and 2.7 binary installers here (Windows 7 SDK
> for .NET 3.5 SP1):
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=71DEB800-C59....
>
> Download today, before it goes away!
>
> Microsoft has now published a download for Windows 7 SDK for .NET 4.
> It has the VC++ 2010 compiler. It can be a matter of days before the VC
> ++ 2008 compiler is totally unavailable.

I presume this problem would go away if future versions of Python
itself were compiled on Windows with something like MinGW gcc. Also,
this would solve the pain of Python developers attempting to
redistribute py2exe versions of their programs (i.e. they have to own
a Visual Studio license to legally be able to redistribute the
required C runtime) I don't understand enough to know why Visual
Studio was chosen instead of MinGW. Can anyone shed any light on that
decision?

Many thanks

Jonathan Hartley
From: sturlamolden on
On 7 Jul, 11:32, Jonathan Hartley <tart...(a)tartley.com> wrote:
> Also,
> this would solve the pain of Python developers attempting to
> redistribute py2exe versions of their programs (i.e. they have to own
> a Visual Studio license to legally be able to redistribute the
> required C runtime)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b2da534-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&displaylang=en

If this is not sufficient, ask Microsoft for permission or buy a copy
of Visual Studio (any will do, you can rebuild Python).

I don't understand enough to know why Visual
> Studio was chosen instead of MinGW. Can anyone shed any light on that
> decision?

It the standard C and C++ compiler on Windows.

From: sturlamolden on
On 7 Jul, 06:54, "Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet" <alf.p.steinbach
+use...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> PyAPI_FUNC(void *) PyMem_Malloc(size_t);
>
> #define PyMem_MALLOC(n)         (((n) < 0 || (n) > PY_SSIZE_T_MAX) ? NULL \
>                                 : malloc((n) ? (n) : 1))

I was afraid of that :(

> Except for the problems with file descriptors I think a practical interim
> solution for extensions implemented in C could be to just link the runtime lib
> statically.

You still have two CRTs linked into the same process.