From: Zooko O'Whielacronx on
On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 3:32 AM, Jonathan Hartley <tartley(a)tartley.com> wrote:

> I presume this problem would go away if future versions of Python
> itself were compiled on Windows with something like MinGW gcc.

You might want to track issue3871. Roumen Petrov has done a lot of
work to make CPython compilable with mingw on Windows, as well as to
make it possible to compile CPython on a different operating system
and produce a CPython executable for Windows (cross-compile).

And by the way, I've usually had success building my native extension
modules with mingw. I understand (vaguely) that if a native extension
module needs to pass FILE*'s or C++ iostreams back and forth to
different extension modules or the the core CPython interpreter then
this could lead to segfaults, but none of my extension modules need to
do that.

I would suggest that people try to build their native extension
modules with mingw, and if it doesn't work report a bug (to mingw
project and to the Python project) so that we can track more precisely
what the issues are.

Regards,

Zooko

http://bugs.python.org/issue3871# cross and native build of python for
mingw32 with distutils
From: David Cournapeau on
On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 3:07 AM, Zooko O'Whielacronx <zooko(a)zooko.com> wrote:

> I would suggest that people try to build their native extension
> modules with mingw, and if it doesn't work report a bug (to mingw
> project and to the Python project) so that we can track more precisely
> what the issues are.

To be clear, building extensions with mingw for the official python
works well. Numpy and scipy official binaries have been built with
mingw for years. There are problems for 64 bits binaries, though

David
From: Burton Samograd on
Grant Edwards <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> writes:

> On 2010-07-24, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo(a)geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>> In message <mailman.323.1278440923.1673.python-list(a)python.org>, Robert Kern
>> wrote:
>>
>>> There are also utilities for mounting ISOs directly without burning
>>> them to a physical disk.
>>
>> You need special utilities to do this??
>
> Not if the OS and VFS are competently designed. In Linux all you need
> to do is this:
>
> mount -o loop /path/to/file.iso /mount/point
>
> Apparently you've got to jump through all sorts of hoops using 3rd
> party software to do something analgous in MS Windows.

In Windows you use DaemonTools.

--
Burton Samograd

From: Robin Becker on
On 26/07/2010 16:47, Burton Samograd wrote:
> Grant Edwards<invalid(a)invalid.invalid> writes:
>
>> On 2010-07-24, Lawrence D'Oliveiro<ldo(a)geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

>>> You need special utilities to do this??
>>
>> Not if the OS and VFS are competently designed. In Linux all you need
>> to do is this:
>>
>> mount -o loop /path/to/file.iso /mount/point
>>
>> Apparently you've got to jump through all sorts of hoops using 3rd
>> party software to do something analgous in MS Windows.
>
> In Windows you use DaemonTools.
>
> --
> Burton Samograd

I use VCdControlTool.exe which is some kind of M$ utility, but perhaps that
doesn't work for everyone.

--
Robin Becker

From: Jean-Michel Pichavant on
Robert Kern wrote:
> On 7/23/10 7:08 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In message<mailman.323.1278440923.1673.python-list(a)python.org>,
>> Robert Kern
>> wrote:
>>
>>> There are also utilities for mounting ISOs directly without burning
>>> them
>>> to a physical disk.
>>
>> You need special utilities to do this??
>
> On at least some versions of Windows, Yes.

You need the "mount" utility with Linux.

JM