From: Mladen Gogala on
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 06:50:21 -0800, Mark D Powell wrote:

> IF no, then I suggest you go to http://otn.oracle.com and download
> Oracle Express. It is a 10gR2 system which is free for use. The 4G
> data size limitation is plenty for study purposes. Express is afull
> almost EE version. Only RAC and a couple of minor features are missing
> from the installation. It will also run on a typical PC or Linux
> machine load wise.

In addition to that, Oracle Express is supported even on a desktop Linux
versions, like Debian or Ubuntu, not just on the server versions like Red
Hat, SuSE or CentOS.

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com
From: Shakespeare on
Op 30-1-2010 23:57, Mladen Gogala schreef:
> On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 06:50:21 -0800, Mark D Powell wrote:
>

>> IF no, then I suggest you go to http://otn.oracle.com and download
>> Oracle Express. It is a 10gR2 system which is free for use. The 4G
>> data size limitation is plenty for study purposes. Express is afull
>> almost EE version. Only RAC and a couple of minor features are missing
>> from the installation. It will also run on a typical PC or Linux
>> machine load wise.
>
> In addition to that, Oracle Express is supported even on a desktop Linux
> versions, like Debian or Ubuntu, not just on the server versions like Red
> Hat, SuSE or CentOS.

XE is not supported at all.... it's certified, but no support.

Shakespeare
From: Mladen Gogala on
On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 11:35:39 +0100, Shakespeare wrote:

> XE is not supported at all.... it's certified, but no support.
>
> Shakespeare

Yup, you're right. XE is certifiable but not supportable.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com
From: Malcolm Dew-Jones on
Mladen Gogala (no(a)email.here.invalid) wrote:
: On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 11:35:39 +0100, Shakespeare wrote:

: > XE is not supported at all.... it's certified, but no support.
: >
: > Shakespeare

: Yup, you're right. XE is certifiable but not supportable.

On the topic of XE, to run this on Vista use the "Run as administrator"
option for things like the startup scripts, and in various urls replace
"127.0.0.1" with "localhost" (or perhaps it's the other way round).

To get sqlplusw.exe you can (temporarily) install the
10201_client_win32.zip file, and try simply moving the sqlplusw.exe file
into the equivalent XE directory (same place as sqlplus.exe) - it appears
to need exactly the same support files as sqlplus.exe.

Unfortunately neither XE nor the freely available client appear to give
you the correct versions of sqlplus to get one that doesn't tend to crash
if you select the wrong display options. (I think a good one comes with
10.2.0.2).

$0.10