From: nospam on
In article <b79hk5p6bttj9ufssj7dn4u0fq6718elki(a)4ax.com>, Robert Coe
<bob(a)1776.COM> wrote:

> You don't say what computer and operating system you're using. Only fairly
> recent OSes support USB correctly, and some computers can be set in BIOS to
> handle USB devices peculiarly. Do other USB devices work as expected on that
> computer?

if by recent you mean the last ten years.
From: Neil Harrington on

"Jonathan Sachs" <081012(a)jhsachs.com> wrote in message
>I appreciate everyone's efforts to help, but so far, it's not helping.
>
> First, I have a card reader, and I have no trouble at all with it. Bit
> my wife sometimes uses the camera, she hates card readers, and I need
> to solve this problem to restore domestic tranquility.
>
> Also, I actually have a reason to want to use a cable myself: I
> sometimes have to transfer pictures at clients' sites, and a cable is
> a lot easier to carry around for very occasional use than a card
> reader is.
>
> Second, I have XP SP2, and I have installed the Nikon software, and it
> still doesn't work.
>
> Third, I've got the manual. I mentioned that in the OP.
>
> Fourth, as nospam mentioned, the instructions on Nikon's web site
> apparently are obsolete, and refer to an option that doesn't exist on
> my camera. (I'm rather disappointed in Nikon. They evidently put much
> less care into creating their web site than into creating their
> cameras.)

I have no idea how you managed to get such a useless response as you
describe from the Nikon site. I use www.nikonusa.com all the time for
downloads, updates, software, manuals etc. and I find the site to be
excellent, thorough and up to date. You must have somehow gotten into an
inappropriate area. There's a lot of stuff there in many places, and you may
have to look around a bit for what you need.

> Is there anything else I can try?

Yes, you can go to the Nikon site again and download a later version of
Nikon Transfer software -- there are more recent versions than the one that
came with your P5100. That may also require that you update your Windows XP
to SP3, but that is a good idea anyway. The site will tell you what the SP
requirement is. All my WinXP machines are SP3; I don't know which versions
of the software require that.

I occasionally use Nikon Transfer to load photos directly from the camera
into Nikon View NX, which is also a free download if it didn't come with
your camera. I have had no difficulty with that, though I can't specifically
remember if I've used Transfer and View NX with the P5100. On the whole I
like View NX better than the older PictureProject for quickie stuff.

From: Neil Harrington on

"nospam" <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <b79hk5p6bttj9ufssj7dn4u0fq6718elki(a)4ax.com>, Robert Coe
> <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote:
>
>> You don't say what computer and operating system you're using. Only
>> fairly
>> recent OSes support USB correctly, and some computers can be set in BIOS
>> handle USB devices peculiarly. Do other USB devices work as expected on
>> that
>> computer?
>
> if by recent you mean the last ten years.

Right, since Windows 98 SE at least.

From: nospam on
In article <fMKdnRb2QNiC_NTWnZ2dnUVZ_jKdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, Neil
Harrington <never(a)home.com> wrote:

> >> You don't say what computer and operating system you're using. Only
> >> fairly
> >> recent OSes support USB correctly, and some computers can be set in BIOS
> >> handle USB devices peculiarly. Do other USB devices work as expected on
> >> that
> >> computer?
> >
> > if by recent you mean the last ten years.
>
> Right, since Windows 98 SE at least.

except that win98 had some issues, as did macos 8.1 & 8.5.

by win xp, os x and even macos 9, it was stable, and certainly by the
time usb 2.0 came out, there were few, if any problems.
From: Neil Harrington on

>> > if by recent you mean the last ten years.
>>
>> Right, since Windows 98 SE at least.
>
> except that win98 had some issues, as did macos 8.1 & 8.5.

I guess the original Windows 98 did (it's too long ago for me to remember),
but I believe Second Edition got everything fixed. I'm still using one
machine with Win98SE for some older games, and haven't had any USB problems
with it at all.

> by win xp, os x and even macos 9, it was stable, and certainly by the
> time usb 2.0 came out, there were few, if any problems.

Yes. Even Win2000 is fine with USB.