From: Jonathan Sachs on
Does anyone have suggestions on how to make this work?

When I attach the camera to the computer, the camera appears to know
that the computer is there; the LCD turns off and the power light
flashes. The computer does not appear to know that the camera is
there; there's no "new hardware" message and the camera doesn't appear
as a disk.

I found a troubleshooting guide on Nikon's web site, but it appears to
be for an older camera. It talks about how to make sure the CF card is
supported (the P5100 doesn't use CF) and it says to be sure the camera
is in MSC USB mode, something I can't find on the camera's menu or in
its manual.
From: ray on
On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 20:18:16 -0800, Jonathan Sachs wrote:

> Does anyone have suggestions on how to make this work?
>
> When I attach the camera to the computer, the camera appears to know
> that the computer is there; the LCD turns off and the power light
> flashes. The computer does not appear to know that the camera is there;
> there's no "new hardware" message and the camera doesn't appear as a
> disk.
>
> I found a troubleshooting guide on Nikon's web site, but it appears to
> be for an older camera. It talks about how to make sure the CF card is
> supported (the P5100 doesn't use CF) and it says to be sure the camera
> is in MSC USB mode, something I can't find on the camera's menu or in
> its manual.

So get an inexpensive USB or firewire card reader. Using that will
guarantee 'compatibility'. It will also save your batteries.
From: J�rgen Exner on
Jonathan Sachs <081012(a)jhsachs.com> wrote:
>Does anyone have suggestions on how to make this work?
>
>When I attach the camera to the computer, the camera appears to know
>that the computer is there; the LCD turns off and the power light
>flashes. The computer does not appear to know that the camera is
>there; there's no "new hardware" message and the camera doesn't appear
>as a disk.
>
>I found a troubleshooting guide on Nikon's web site, but it appears to
>be for an older camera. It talks about how to make sure the CF card is
>supported (the P5100 doesn't use CF) and it says to be sure the camera
>is in MSC USB mode, something I can't find on the camera's menu or in
>its manual.

This question comes up fairly frequently.
Answer 1: get a memory card reader. They are cheap (from ~10$ US) and
make life so much easier.
Answer 2: if you insist on hooking up the camera directly to the
computer via those awkward USB-cables, then make sure that the camera is
set to "mass storage device" or "mass storage class" or "Universal Mass
Storage" or whatever it is called in your camera (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_mass_storage_device_class)

jue
From: nospam on
In article <tboak5hj4s4n0a1uqvab88jo6bb24rnikq(a)4ax.com>, J�rgen Exner
<jurgenex(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> Answer 1: get a memory card reader. They are cheap (from ~10$ US) and
> make life so much easier.

that's the best solution

> Answer 2: if you insist on hooking up the camera directly to the
> computer via those awkward USB-cables, then make sure that the camera is
> set to "mass storage device" or "mass storage class" or "Universal Mass
> Storage" or whatever it is called in your camera (see

nikon has stopped offering mass storage mode, at least in their slrs,
and probably other models too.
From: Neil Harrington on

"Jonathan Sachs" <081012(a)jhsachs.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone have suggestions on how to make this work?
>
> When I attach the camera to the computer, the camera appears to know
> that the computer is there; the LCD turns off and the power light
> flashes. The computer does not appear to know that the camera is
> there; there's no "new hardware" message and the camera doesn't appear
> as a disk.
>
> I found a troubleshooting guide on Nikon's web site, but it appears to
> be for an older camera. It talks about how to make sure the CF card is
> supported (the P5100 doesn't use CF) and it says to be sure the camera
> is in MSC USB mode, something I can't find on the camera's menu or in
> its manual.

Right, that guide is apparently for some older model(s). No recent Nikon
Coolpix uses CF.

As others have mentioned, it's easiest just to use an inexpensive card
reader. If you don't have one, you can connect the P5100 directly to the
computer if you're using Windows XP SP2 or Vista, *and* you have installed
the Nikon Transfer software that came with your P5100. If you're using
Windows 2000 you'll have to use a card reader. This is explained on p. 77 of
the P5100 User's Manual.

If you've lost or mislaid the User's Manual you can download one from Nikon
here:
http://support.nikontech.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14391

Darn nice little camera, I have one myself.