From: SMS on
On 09/07/10 3:13 AM, Bruce wrote:

> RAW is a particularly useful feature on small-sensor P&S cameras - I
> have used it on my Panasonic LX2 and LX3 to give an dynamic range
> increased by 1.5 to 2 stops. Given that the dynamic range of small
> sensors used in P&S digicams is severely limited, this is a very
> worthwhile increase.

That's why it's so ironic that most smaller sensor cameras don't have
RAW capability. With their severely limited dynamic range (due to the
small pixels) shooting RAW gives an increase in dynamic ranges that's of
more importance than on large sensored D-SLRs which have wide dynamic
range even on JPEGs.

When you shoot in JPEG mode on a P&S you're giving up precious dynamic
range that you can't afford to give up. When you shoot in JPEG mode on a
D-SLR, you're giving up dynamic range that may not make much of a
difference, depending on the situation.

Thank goodness for CHDK on Canon cameras where Canon forgot to include
RAW mode.