From: Richard LeBlanc on
WindowsXP - After format and re install drive C became Drive E. How can I
get it back to drive C. It installed on the same partition but the drive
letter changed to E.

From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"Richard LeBlanc" <dandr(a)xplornet.com> wrote in message
> WindowsXP - After format and re install drive C became Drive E. How can I
> get it back to drive C. It installed on the same partition but the drive
> letter changed to E.

While you could do it through a registry hack, the result would be an
unstable installation of Windows. You need to disconnect all USB drives,
then re-install Windows.

From: philo on
Richard LeBlanc wrote:
> WindowsXP - After format and re install drive C became Drive E. How can I
> get it back to drive C. It installed on the same partition but the drive
> letter changed to E.

I had that happen once due to a built-in card reader

Check your bios settings to be sure your hard drive is listed

as the second boot device...behind your cd/dvd

Also make sure no other drives are attached (to avoid confusion)

You will need to reinstall Windows of course

FWIF: It will not hurt anything that Windows was installed on E:

From: Richard LeBlanc on
I don't have any USB attached and My bios is as indicated. I have been
running on E drive for some time but now is time to re install and I got the
same results. I'm not sure what
happened to change it. I guess maybe I am to fussy. I presently have a fresh
install with only XP installed and thought there might be some easy way to
change it as it seems to me that it was easy to get it where it is now but I
don't know that I done anything unusual on former install.

Richard

From: mikeyhsd on
disable the other drives in the bios.
unless one is needed for dual boot.