From: Trouble on
I installed a new hard drive on a friends Dell desktop after his crashed.
After installing XP I had a tough time finding drivers for all the hardware.
Dell's website had a tons of drivers for his build number and it took forever
to find the ones that worked.

I'm thinking I should backup my drivers and while I see a lot of software
for this I would rather understand what I'm doing. Can I just backup
C:\windows\system32\drivers or do I need to do more?

Thanks
From: David B. on
Back up the files you downloaded.

From: Trouble on
Hi David,

Of course I put the files I downloaded for my friend on a CD. But I was
wondering about my machine which is working fine. If I had a hard drive crash
I would like a driver backup along with my data backups.

From: mikeyhsd on
all the dell cd's I have seen have drivers for their specific hardware.

driver for the harddrive should have been with xp.

what else was missing.

mikeyhsd(a)hotmail.com

From: Shenan Stanley on
Trouble wrote:
> I installed a new hard drive on a friends Dell desktop after his
> crashed. After installing XP I had a tough time finding drivers for
> all the hardware. Dell's website had a tons of drivers for his
> build number and it took forever to find the ones that worked.
>
> I'm thinking I should backup my drivers and while I see a lot of
> software for this I would rather understand what I'm doing. Can I
> just backup C:\windows\system32\drivers or do I need to do more?

Really?

You did just go to Dell's site, downloads section and enter in the service
tag of the Dell computer, right? Then choose the proper OS?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

 |  Next  |  Last