From: Route101� on
"Arnie Goetchius" <arnie.goetchius(a)invalid.domain> wrote in message
> JM wrote:
>> On Feb 12, 8:54 am, Arnie Goetchius<arnie.goetch...(a)invalid.domain>
>> wrote:
>>> I have a Memorized Payee for the deposit of my social security check. It
>>> normally is deposited on the 4th of each month and will show up on the
>>> Transactions view for one month in advance. This year, my bank
>>> (Wachovia) deposited the check on 12/31/09 rather then 1/04/2010. So I
>>> had two occurrences of the deposit on the transaction list. I wasn't
>>> paying any attention but an automatic overdraft protection deposit from
>>> my HELOC yesterday caught my eye.
>>>
>>> To resolved this, I deleted the 01/04/2010 deposit from the transaction
>>> list so the bank statement and Quicken now agree. However, Form SSA-1099
>>> only reflected 12 payments from SSA which assumed 12 payments on the 4th
>>> of each month. Actually, I received 13 payments because of the payment
>>> on 12/31/09. This will now screw up my import from quicken to turbotax.
>>> I'm thinking now that I should just change the 12/31/2009 deposit to
>>> 01/04/2010 so Quicken, Turbotax and Social Security Admin are all in
>>> agreement. Any ideas?
>>
>> What does your Form SSA-1099 say? - I would follow that lead.
>
> SSA-1099 says there were only 12 deposits in 2009. Wachovia says there
> were 13. Since I assume Wachovia will eventually correct their error, I'll
> go with the SSA-1099.

The SSA-1099 is what goes to the IRS. That's what I'd have Quicken match. In
your case your birthday likely is the 1st or 2nd of the month, which is why
you get paid sooner (vs. the second Wednesday or later). This year, Jan. 1,
a bank holiday, fell on a Friday. Most automatic deposits (e.g., bond
interest) did not post till Monday, January 4. Wachovia was nice enough to
post a pending payment early for you; however, for tax purposes, SSA will
report it as the first of 12 payments in 2010.