From: John H Meyers on
On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 13:16:42 -0600, Eric wrote:

> I do not use the "Recent" folder but I have solved the problem.
> The duplicate MBXs were shown in the MBX list but not at the top
> where the active ones are shown.

What's "at the top" are the four built-in "system" mailboxes
(In, Out, Junk, Trash), then any "Recent" list,
then all other top-level mailboxes (alphabetized),
which are all in the main "data" folder level,
then all mail subfolders (alphabetized).

> I used a free search program called "Everything" http://www.voidtools.com/
> and searched for "In.mbx" which found a second copy in a sub-sub-folder.

Mailboxes in Windows subfolders are shown as being in Eudora mail subfolders;
the "main" level otherwise shows only mailboxes in the main "data" folder,
except for "recent" mailboxes, which are shown without their folder paths,
thus making "Sub-sub\In" appear as if it were "In"

You could, however, also have some sort of copies of mailboxes,
with names actually containing parentheses -- e.g. "In" and "In(2)" etc.,
if by any chance one has made such copies in the past.

> This happened after I had copied all mailboxes and other data
> from my XP laptop that I use for traveling.

All the more likely a cause for either creating "In(2)" etc.
or having copied into the wrong folder, or moved old files, etc.,
perhaps slightly mis-aiming "Karen's Replicator"?

> Deletion of the extra "mbx" files in that folder
> eliminated the extras in MBX list.

It's encouraging to know that :)

> Today's log file still shows for 2 personalities::
>
> MAIN 8192: 0.00 Error opening LMOS file
> C:\...\Eudora\spool\<personality>\lmos.dat: OsError=2, cause=2

If the "..." portion says anything about "Program Files"
or "VirtualStore," it would indicate an attempt to make Eudora store mail
in a restricted part of the file system, which is, all by itself,
the major cause of most problems ever reported on Vista and Windows 7
(it is the primary mistake made during installation, by one user after another,
because Eudora's installer asks the user where to store mail,
and lets even the worst possible suggestion go unchallenged :)

> Which is interesting because BOTH of their spool files are empty,
> without LMOS files.

Perhaps that's why they can't be opened :)

If you don't want to read mail for some personality,
go to "Tools" > "Personalities"
then right-click an icon for such a personality,
choose "Properties," then remove the check mark next to "Check Mail."

But all of this still raises one little question:

What is the path name to the right of "Data:"
in the window which appears after clicking "Help" > "About Eudora"?

If it is in the system "Program Files" area, problems are likely to continue,
as the application continues to try to write into a restricted area,
and the "armed guards" within Windows refuse to actually let it do so.

From: ebloch on
Coments in line marked by "*--- "

Interesting that it took about 2 days AFTER I received your email directly
for your reply to show up in this newsgroup.

"John H Meyers" <jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote in message
On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 13:16:42 -0600, Eric wrote:

<snip>

> Today's log file still shows for 2 personalities::
>
> MAIN 8192: 0.00 Error opening LMOS file
> C:\...\Eudora\spool\<personality>\lmos.dat: OsError=2, cause=2

<snip>

> Which is interesting because BOTH of their spool files are empty,
> without LMOS files.

Perhaps that's why they can't be opened :)

*--- Many other spool files are also empty without generating errors.
*--- Errors NOW cleared by going into personalities and "Checking Mail"
manually once.
*--- They now have LMOS files.

If you don't want to read mail for some personality,
go to "Tools" > "Personalities"
then right-click an icon for such a personality,
choose "Properties," then remove the check mark next to "Check Mail."

*--- I only check mail from one personality.
*--- All others are set at their source to auto-forward to that one.

But all of this still raises one little question:

What is the path name to the right of "Data:"
in the window which appears after clicking "Help" > "About Eudora"?

*--- I ALWAYS use a seperate data folder because that makes easy backup.
*--- Even in OSs prior to VIsta
*--- Makes it easy to update Eudora between desktop and laptop, and,
*--- When both were XP with same file structure could copy entire folder.

If it is in the system "Program Files" area, problems are likely to
continue,
as the application continues to try to write into a restricted area,
and the "armed guards" within Windows refuse to actually let it do so.

-- =