From: Jim Thompson on
The Fast (Indexed) Search Problem has returned...

Can't find with Fast (Indexed) checked, but does find if it's not
checked.

I vaguely remember this being discussed some years ago.

Please refresh my memory as to the cure.

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

From: John H Meyers on
On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 17:45:03 -0600, Jim Thompson wrote:

> The Fast (Indexed) Search Problem has returned...
>
> Can't find with Fast (Indexed) checked,
> but does find if it's not checked.
>
> I vaguely remember this being discussed some years ago.
>
> Please refresh my memory as to the cure.

Isn't that too vague a statement of what you are trying to do now,
as well as referencing some past thing which no one may recall,
for anyone to know whether this is a matter of
the significant differences between how X1 works vs. ordinary searches,
or whether re-indexing is called for?
(you can always re-index anyway, of course, just for "good luck" :)

Even the phrase "with Fast (Indexed) checked" [or not checked]
is a bit ambiguous -- do you mean that you turned off the option
in the main "Find Messages" settings, or just in the "center" button
of the "Find Messages" window, before entering search criteria?

Use only the latter for doing particular individual searches without X1;
otherwise you may have to do more re-indexing to catch up with
any changes that you meanwhile may make to the message store,
if you turn off the entire process of indexing all such changes.

From: John H Meyers on
On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 17:45:03 -0600

> I vaguely remember this being discussed some years ago.
>
> Please refresh my memory as to the cure.

If even your own memory is that vague,
don't you think you should refresh everyone else's memory
as to some particular example,
or else supply a specific example of your own now? ;-)

It's like my car windows this morning -- completely fogged up,
so I posted a question on alt.imaging
as to whether anyone could give me driving directions,
while I held my camera up behind the fogged window :)

From: Jim Thompson on
On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 20:06:36 -0600, "John H Meyers"
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 17:45:03 -0600
>
>> I vaguely remember this being discussed some years ago.
>>
>> Please refresh my memory as to the cure.
>
>If even your own memory is that vague,
>don't you think you should refresh everyone else's memory
>as to some particular example,
>or else supply a specific example of your own now? ;-)

ctrl-F, "Find Messages" pops up

"Use Fast (Indexed) Search" in the little box is checked

I enter, "Anywhere", "contains", "Todd"

Click "Search" Button, nothing found.

Uncheck "Use Fast (Indexed) Search"

Click "Search" Button, multiple instances found.

As for my vagueness... some years ago there was a discussion here with
a solution. I thought I had saved it in my Eudora Gimmicks directory,
but I guess not :-(

>It's like my car windows this morning -- completely fogged up,
>so I posted a question on alt.imaging
>as to whether anyone could give me driving directions,
>while I held my camera up behind the fogged window :)

Foggy _memory_ is all we get here in Arizona ;-)

My foggy memory thinks some index file was deleted, and then you ran
Eudora some way that re-indexed.

...Jim Thompson

From: John H Meyers on
On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 09:32:59 -0600, Jim Thompson wrote:

> ctrl-F, "Find Messages" pops up
>
> "Use Fast (Indexed) Search" in the little box is checked
>
> I enter, "Anywhere", "contains", "Todd"
>
> Click "Search" Button, nothing found.
>
> Uncheck "Use Fast (Indexed) Search"
> [in the center of the "Find messages" dialog box]
>
> Click "Search" Button, multiple instances found.

Fast search (X1) finds only "begins with" or "whole word" etc.,
but your example suggests you are not looking for an embedded string.

> My foggy memory thinks some index file was deleted,
> and then you ran Eudora some way that re-indexed.

When you go to "Find Messages" options,
you see two large buttons,
"Index Now" (catch up) and "Re-Index Email" (from scratch).

Clicking the nearby [?] button just before clicking on either of those
brings you some "help" about each function, or if that help is disabled,
then the same is in the manual.

Deleting your entire "search" subfolder will, not surprisingly,
also force a complete re-indexing :)

Clicking "Re-Index Email" when "Use fast...[X1]" right above it is not checked
(or when not in Paid mode) will just delete all X1-related index files.

Lastly, downloads of v7 since July 2008 have not included the "x1lib.dll" file
(normally installed with Eudora's program files), so latecomers don't get X1 anyway,
even in Paid mode, the apparent reason being that x1.com (producer of the X1 software)
is owed a royalty for every copy used, but Qualcomm no longer sells or collects payment
for Eudora, neither directly from users nor via selling ads,
and thus has no piggybank to shake to come up with those fees.