From: Jim Thompson on
On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 11:31:28 -0600, "John H Meyers"
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 09:32:59 -0600, Jim Thompson wrote:
>
>> ctrl-F, "Find Messages" pops up
>>
>> "Use Fast (Indexed) Search" in the little box is checked
>>
>> I enter, "Anywhere", "contains", "Todd"
>>
>> Click "Search" Button, nothing found.
>>
>> Uncheck "Use Fast (Indexed) Search"
>> [in the center of the "Find messages" dialog box]
>>
>> Click "Search" Button, multiple instances found.
>
>Fast search (X1) finds only "begins with" or "whole word" etc.,
>but your example suggests you are not looking for an embedded string.

I _do_ have X1, so labeled on the Find Pop-up. EP v7.1.0.9

>> My foggy memory thinks some index file was deleted,
>> and then you ran Eudora some way that re-indexed.
>
>When you go to "Find Messages" options,
>you see two large buttons,
>"Index Now" (catch up) and "Re-Index Email" (from scratch).

Where located? I can't find these.

>Clicking the nearby [?] button just before clicking on either of those
>brings you some "help" about each function, or if that help is disabled,
>then the same is in the manual.
>
>Deleting your entire "search" subfolder will, not surprisingly,
>also force a complete re-indexing :)
>
>Clicking "Re-Index Email" when "Use fast...[X1]" right above it is not checked
>(or when not in Paid mode) will just delete all X1-related index files.
>
>Lastly, downloads of v7 since July 2008 have not included the "x1lib.dll" file
>(normally installed with Eudora's program files), so latecomers don't get X1 anyway,
>even in Paid mode, the apparent reason being that x1.com (producer of the X1 software)
>is owed a royalty for every copy used, but Qualcomm no longer sells or collects payment
>for Eudora, neither directly from users nor via selling ads,
>and thus has no piggybank to shake to come up with those fees.

I was paid up before Qualcomm quit.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

From: Jim Thompson on
On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 11:01:15 -0700, Jim Thompson
<To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon(a)My-Web-Site.com/Snicker> wrote:

Nevermind. Found them :-(

>On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 11:31:28 -0600, "John H Meyers"
><jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 09:32:59 -0600, Jim Thompson wrote:
>>
>>> ctrl-F, "Find Messages" pops up
>>>
>>> "Use Fast (Indexed) Search" in the little box is checked
>>>
>>> I enter, "Anywhere", "contains", "Todd"
>>>
>>> Click "Search" Button, nothing found.
>>>
>>> Uncheck "Use Fast (Indexed) Search"
>>> [in the center of the "Find messages" dialog box]
>>>
>>> Click "Search" Button, multiple instances found.
>>
>>Fast search (X1) finds only "begins with" or "whole word" etc.,
>>but your example suggests you are not looking for an embedded string.
>
>I _do_ have X1, so labeled on the Find Pop-up. EP v7.1.0.9
>

>>> My foggy memory thinks some index file was deleted,
>>> and then you ran Eudora some way that re-indexed.
>>
>>When you go to "Find Messages" options,
>>you see two large buttons,
>>"Index Now" (catch up) and "Re-Index Email" (from scratch).
>
>Where located? I can't find these.
>

>>Clicking the nearby [?] button just before clicking on either of those
>>brings you some "help" about each function, or if that help is disabled,
>>then the same is in the manual.
>>
>>Deleting your entire "search" subfolder will, not surprisingly,
>>also force a complete re-indexing :)
>>
>>Clicking "Re-Index Email" when "Use fast...[X1]" right above it is not checked
>>(or when not in Paid mode) will just delete all X1-related index files.
>>
>>Lastly, downloads of v7 since July 2008 have not included the "x1lib.dll" file
>>(normally installed with Eudora's program files), so latecomers don't get X1 anyway,
>>even in Paid mode, the apparent reason being that x1.com (producer of the X1 software)
>>is owed a royalty for every copy used, but Qualcomm no longer sells or collects payment
>>for Eudora, neither directly from users nor via selling ads,
>>and thus has no piggybank to shake to come up with those fees.
>
>I was paid up before Qualcomm quit.
>
> ...Jim Thompson

...Jim Thompson

From: John H Meyers on
On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 12:01:15 -0600, Jim Thompson wrote:

> I _do_ have X1, so labeled on the Find Pop-up. EP v7.1.0.9

I didn't say you didn't -- only wanted to inform others
that if they downloaded v7.1 since July 2008,
then they don't have X1, despite options saying that they do
(a complete log will also record a complaint, at Eudora launch,
about the missing library, but who ever looks at a log?)

Built-in search is, as of v7, also mighty fast and efficient,
even if not "instantaneous," but what I've turned on X1 for
is as much to enter searches more easily -- e.g. the
"matches X1 query"

>> When you go to "Find Messages" options,
>> you see two large buttons,
>> "Index Now" (catch up) and "Re-Index Email" (from scratch).

They are pretty hard to miss, after all :)