From: lakshmi3489 on

1. If I look at the spartan 3a 3400 dsp evaluation board schematic there is
as SPI EEPROM. Looking at the part number it is a part number for a FLASH
by Microchip(M25P16-VMW6G).

2. Looking at this example xspi_stm_flash_example.c though he mentions the
same part number M25P16.
Then why the name SPI EEPROM??????

---------------------------------------
Posted through http://www.FPGARelated.com
From: RCIngham on

>1. If I look at the spartan 3a 3400 dsp evaluation board schematic there
is
>as SPI EEPROM. Looking at the part number it is a part number for a FLASH
>by Microchip(M25P16-VMW6G).
>
>2. Looking at this example xspi_stm_flash_example.c though he mentions
the
>same part number M25P16.
> Then why the name SPI EEPROM??????

Why SPI? Because the part is accessed via an SPI interface?

Why EEPROM? Because "Flash" indicates a sub-type of "Electrically Erasable
Programmable Read-Only Memory" that can be erased either in total or large
segments.

It appears that not everyone is old enough to remember "non-Flash"
EEPROMs.

HTH!

---------------------------------------
Posted through http://www.FPGARelated.com
From: james on
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 08:00:18 -0600, "RCIngham"
<robert.ingham(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com> wrote:

|It appears that not everyone is old enough to remember "non-Flash"
|EEPROMs.
|===============

I remember the old days of 2708 EPROMS. Those were a great step up
from the old TTL PROMS. What a radicle idea then to use UV light to
erase and then reprogram.

james
From: johnp on
On Feb 25, 6:38 am, james <bu...(a)bud.u> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 08:00:18 -0600, "RCIngham"
>
> <robert.ingham(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com> wrote:
>
> |It appears that not everyone is old enough to remember "non-Flash"
> |EEPROMs.
> |===============
>
> I remember the old days of 2708 EPROMS. Those were a great step up
> from the old TTL PROMS. What a radicle idea then to use UV light to
> erase and then reprogram.
>
> james

2708? Those were to easy to program. Try the old 1702A... -48V
programming. Ouch. As I recall,
the Intel programmer had big power transistors. Touch to program, but
a whooping 256 bytes of memory.

John Providenza
From: austin on
John,

I just love the Dilbert cartoon where they try to out-do each other
about the 'old days:'

"I used to program in 1's and 0's!"

"That's nothing, all we had were l's and O's ( small letter L and
capital letter O)"

"Heck, all I had were 0's...."

Yes, I have some 1702's, along with the 4004 4 bit CPU, and some 2102
SRAM devices Intel handed out to customers to "introduce" them to the
microcomputer.

I just remember that if you put the 1702 in the socket rotated 180
degrees, it blew out all the bond wires. Someone came to the lab one
day saying "did you know that the EPROM lights up when you program
it?"

Austin
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2