From: "Johnson, David" on
Thank you Martin,

I had considered it, but it is a Raid array connected by IEEE1394, and
not strictly a NAS, and the 120Gb space I have on my local drive is
almost entirely consumed during one of the sort and split processes.

Sadly too, it isn't just the external Raid 5 array (permanent data) that
has the problem, it is also the internal Raid 0 array (work space) that
is exhibiting the same issue.

Any and all suggestions are welcome, sometimes the most irritating
problems are solved with a flash of the blindingly obvious!!!

Incidentally, the latest word from the "birdies" is still to suspect the
AV package, and thankfully I now seem to have a means to exclude the
work directory from the scanning process for the moment.

Interestingly enough, it is not the tables of tens or more of MB that
seem to have problems, but often the smaller ones. The implication is
that code like the following (untested) example might be more prone to
problems.

Proc Sort Data = PERM.TENROWTABLE
Out = TENROWTABLE( Keep = KEYID COLUMN1 COLUMN3 COLUMN6
COLUMN7
Rename = ( COLUMN1 = GOODTHINGS COLUMN3 =
BETTERTHINGS) );
By KEYID;
Run;

Data TENROWTABLE;
Set TENROWTABLE;
COST = Input( GOODTHINGS, 10.2) * 36 + 55;
Run;

Little data is retrieved and a work table is written in hundredths of a
second, and is then updated in place with newly derived values; also in
hundredths of a second.

Meantime, the AV engine has spotted the first table and is trying to
scan it, but SAS has already tried to replace the table with a new
version and found a file lock in place on the original file deferring
its deletion.

The hypothesis makes sense, but the problem is a little too
unpredictable for it to be tested. Maybe it is time for a Mickey Mouse
job to do a few thousand of those and try to break the process. While
the AV changes might be effective, when the problem occurs about once a
week, how many weeks do you have to wait before you can be reasonably
confident that the problem is fixed?

Kind regards

David