From: Alan on
Bruce, The cboCustomerNumber is a Text Field and the Posting Date is also a
text field,

any suggestions

From: BruceM via AccessMonster.com on
As I wrote in another part of this thread:

Posting Date Period should be changed to a Date/Time field. The Format
function seems
to be able to apply date/time formatting to a text string that "looks" like a
date, but if it is a date it should be stored in a date/time field.

Be sure the exact field names, not any table field captions you
may have used, are included in the DSum expression. Naming problems are
typically the
source of the #Name error.

Also, please post some sample data (from just a few records) of the actual
values in Posting Date Period.

You have been exchanging some postings with Daryl S. I suggest that you stay
in one part of the thread (the Daryl S part would be good), as it is
difficult to know what you have tried when you questions are replies are
scattered around the thread.

From: Alan on
Yer i have tried it with Date/time and put the format to yyyy/mm.

i'm gonna start again tomorrow morning an see what happens,

i know its something i'm doing an it really fustrating lol

From: Dirk Goldgar on
"Alan" <Alan(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yer i have tried it with Date/time and put the format to yyyy/mm.
>
> i'm gonna start again tomorrow morning an see what happens,
>
> i know its something i'm doing an it really fustrating lol

If you have verified that the expression should work, make sure that this
calculated textbox doesn't have the same name as any field in your form's
recordsource.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

From: Alan on

Well this morning i tired a new table completely
had three fields

Customer No as a text
Posting Date Period as a date/time
Amount as a number

two combo boxes

cbocustomerNumber
cboPostingDate
textbox

Tired this

=DSum("Amount","Table1","[Customer No] = '" & [Me].[cboCustomerNumber] & "'
And Format([Posting Date
Period],'yyyymm') = '" & Format([Me].[cboPostingDate],"yyyymm") & "'")

and still got name, now i know that all the field are spelt correcly and in
the right format