From: Thomas Heger on
RichD schrieb:
> On Jul 10, eric gisse <jowr.pi.nos...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Theories do not dictate observation, stupid.
>
> ahem
>
> "It is the theory which determines what we can observe."
> - Albert Einstein
>
> And the old perfessor has a point.
> It is left as an exercise for the student, to
> decipher this enigmatic statement -

Well, we can make observations without any theory. E.g. we could see the
sun - without knowing anything at all or having any kind of theory.

But to measure something, we need definitions. And to have a good
definition of something, this needs some kind of meaning.
If we want to measure the power of the sun-beams for example, we would
need definitions of power and some kind of theory, what that should be.
E.g. we need to define units of an area, hence of length. We need an
idea, what a Watt is and how to measure the wattage of a beam. Than we
had to define 'sun-beam', to distinguish it from other phenomena.
In the course of this process, we stepwise introduce our understanding
of the world to our measurement.
If the measurement is in agreement with our understanding, this makes us
happy and we regard our theories to be proven.

But we could have made several faults along the way. E.g. the basic unit
of length could be not as constant as we think, what we could not
measure, because this unit is basis of measurements.
Or the sun could put out more than beams, but we don't see the other
things, hence do not measure.
So we could get seriously off the right track, if our theory is not as
proper as it should be, because the theory is actually what we thinks is
happening and we certainly need an idea first, before we would look for
something.

TH
From: Henry Wilson DSc on
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:46:58 -0700, eric gisse <jowr.pi.nospam(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>..@..(Henry Wilson DSc) wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 10:23:35 -0700, eric gisse <jowr.pi.nospam(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>..@..(Henry Wilson DSc) wrote:
>>>[...]
>>>
>>>So if you multiple the wavelength of light obtained by a diffraction
>>>grating times the frequency of light obtained via a waveguide / bolometer,
>>>you think it will show more than, less than, or exactly c?
>>
>> light...frequency...waveguide...bolometer....interesting
>
>Well, Henry? More, less, or exactly c?
>
>Make a stand. It isn't as if you have difficulty denying trivial
>observations when it suits you, or lying about it.

sorry eric, you have no scientific ability whatsoever. You have the mentality
of a religious fanatic.

From: RichD on
On Jul 10, eric gisse <jowr.pi.nos...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Theories do not dictate observation, stupid.

"It is the theory which determines what we observe."
- Albert Einstein

And the old perfessor has a point.
It is left as an exercise for the student, to
decipher this enigmatic assertion.

--
Rich
From: eric gisse on
...@..(Henry Wilson DSc) wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:46:58 -0700, eric gisse <jowr.pi.nospam(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>..@..(Henry Wilson DSc) wrote:

>>> light...frequency...waveguide...bolometer....interesting
>>
>>Well, Henry? More, less, or exactly c?
>>
>>Make a stand. It isn't as if you have difficulty denying trivial
>>observations when it suits you, or lying about it.
>
> sorry eric, you have no scientific ability whatsoever. You have the
> mentality of a religious fanatic.

I'll accept psychological projection in lieu of a straightforward answer of
a simple question.

I wonder if you are satisfied with how you spend your time these days...

[...]
From: eric gisse on
RichD wrote:

> On Jul 10, eric gisse <jowr.pi.nos...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Theories do not dictate observation, stupid.
>
> "It is the theory which determines what we observe."
> - Albert Einstein
>
> And the old perfessor has a point.

Henry Wilson was never a professor at anything, and never even attended
college.

> It is left as an exercise for the student, to
> decipher this enigmatic assertion.
>
> --
> Rich

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last