From: John H Meyers on
On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 18:08:54 -0500, Spike wrote:

> Quite often, someone sends me an embedded graphic.
> When I open the email, the graphic doesn't appear.
> However, as soon as I hit Reply or Forward,
> they show in the new window.
> When I hit Send, they go out fine.

Both this and "all I see is a gray box" [or "red X"]
are usually consequences
of the difference between those images that can be shown by Eudora's
simplified internal HTML viewer (which is always used while composing,
and which may in turn depend upon QuickTime to display some types)
and the possibility of using "Microsoft's viewer"
(a callable function within MS Internet Explorer)
to take over displaying inside other Eudora message windows,
which then is subject to all of IE's own options;
other Eudora options related to displaying images are:

o Automatically download HTML graphics? [fetch embedded web pix]

o Display attached images inline?

There are many items on the subject
of graphics which are present and forwardable,
but just not displaying,
in archives of this newsgroup,
in Qualcomm's forums (eudorabb.qualcomm.com),
and in Eudora's "techsupport" section,
which I haven't the energy to look up :)

But the original problem of this thread
(an apparently garbled path to an "embedded" object,
which then can't be resolved when sending the message)
is one I haven't seen before.

From: Jeem on
On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 17:45:26 -0500, "John H Meyers"
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 17:16:23 -0500, Jeem wrote:
>
>> I can give you more information
>> after I receive another email with embedded images.
>
>Right, since you have deleted previous embedded images,
>but an old song (below) reminds us that one can always
>"sit right down, and write myself a letter" (or email),
>into which you can embed your own images,
>which you can then receive and forward again to yourself :)
>
>I'd suggest to ensure that your "subject" isn't blank.
>
>It's also always possible to re-embed any file(s)
>that are still in your "Embedded" folder,
>or anywhere on your computer,
>as long as the message being forwarded by you remains unsent,
>enabling recovery from any such fluke occurrence.
>
>"Redirect" and "Send Again" ("Message" menu)
>are other alternatives to "Forward,"
>and sometimes behave a bit differently.
>
>---
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I'm_Gonna_Sit_Right_Down_and_Write_Myself_a_Letter
>http://www.theguitarguy.com/imgonnas.htm
>http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/youvegotmail/imgonnasitrightdownandwritemyselfaletter.htm
>
>.

OK. Here is what I did. I sat down and wrote myself a letter. :)
Usually when I want to send a photo with an email, I usually add it as
an attachment, instead of embedding it. But for this "experiment", I
embedded it. Or at least I believe I did it the correct way since I
don't normally embed a photo. I addressed the email to myself, then
clicked on "Edit", then "Insert", then "Picture". Selected a photo
from my hard drive and sent it out to myself. I received the email
with the photo intact. Exactly as I had sent it. Then I forwarded it
to myself. Received the email again as I had originally sent it. No
problems at all with this. But I did look into my Eudora Embedded
folder and the original photo I sent myself was there 3 times. But all
with different file names. The original file name is IMG_0600. Then
there are two other file names of the exact same photo...115c75 and
115c751. So I guess this little experiment has gotten us nowhere.
From: John H Meyers on
On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 23:06:41 -0500, Jeem wrote:

> OK. Here is what I did. I sat down and wrote myself a letter. :)
> Usually when I want to send a photo with an email, I usually add it
> as an attachment, instead of embedding it. But for this "experiment",
> I embedded it. Or at least I believe I did it the correct way since
> I don't normally embed a photo. I addressed the email to myself, then
> clicked on "Edit", then "Insert", then "Picture". Selected a photo
> from my hard drive and sent it out to myself.

Correct.

> I received the email with the photo intact. Exactly as I had sent it.

So far, so good!

> Then I forwarded it to myself.
> Received the email again as I had originally sent it.
> No problems at all with this.

You just forwarded a received message which had an "embedded" photo,
but without the problem you originally reported
(failure upon "Forward" of a message containing embedded image,
due to scrambled path to embedded file); is that not a "success"?

> But I did look into my Eudora Embedded
> folder and the original photo I sent myself was there 3 times. But all
> with different file names. The original file name is IMG_0600. Then
> there are two other file names of the exact same photo...115c75 and
> 115c751. So I guess this little experiment has gotten us nowhere.

Perhaps the goose which laid golden eggs said this, too
("why can I lay only discolored, useless eggs -- why not
white or brown speckled ones?" :)

Have you not successfully sent a photo, received it back,
then forwarded it again, and then received it again,
with no repetition of the original type of error when forwarding?

Each time that Eudora needs to save a file, it always generates
a new file name, to avoid overwriting previously existing files,
the same as it does in the "Attach" folder (try "attaching" the
photo instead, receive it twice, see a "1" appended
to one of the file names, just as above) -- this occurs
even if it so happens that the file content turns out to be identical,
just as if you "save" anything under Windows, it will ask you
to suggest a new file name, even if you repeatedly store the same thing.

Some files may be sent without any original name,
in which case Eudora needs to generate its own arbitrary name for it;
other senders' software might also create non-original names
when it embeds files into outgoing messages,
which is not under Eudora's control.

Did your original problem (failure upon "Forward,"
due to scrambled path to embedded file) ever repeat itself?

That's the kind of "nowhere" we would want to get, isn't it? ;-)

--
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2