From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Sabrina Shen is NOT an MS MVP and apparently isn't aware that an updated
(Sept-09) version of CheckSUR tool was released earlier this week: It's
supported in Vista SP2 and may be able to resolve your 0x80070002 error.

Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for
Windows Server 2008, and for Windows 7 (September 2009)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=947821

Vista 32-bit:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=b4d90b06-c27d-4483-bc1f-04d43fa7b293

Vista 64-bit:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=f6f353c0-d00e-43e7-97ef-0feefc7ff064

As posted by my colleague MowGreen:

<QP>
Please *note* that it is a 97 MB download.

Once the download completes close all open programs and browsers.

Now run Windows6.0-KB947821-v5-x86.msu by double left clicking on it as you
would an .exe file. It will take some time to run. When it's done, the error
should be resolved. If not, open the log that CheckSUR created located at

WINDOWS\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log <=here

Copy and paste it contents into a reply to this thread.
</QP>
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

From: Tim on
Robear

Thanks. When I downloaded the checker it ran before I could close my browser
but here's the result from the CheckSUR log
=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.0.6002.22202
Package Version 6.0
2009-09-26 18:41

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

No errors detected

I tried to access the Updates site afterwards but couldn't get through.

--
TIA

Tim

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the previous
message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.

> I get automatic Windows Updates fine, and can also download them by going
> into All Programme, Updades, but I can't access the MS Updates site.

I assume you're attempting to "access the MS Updates site" via Start |
Settings | Control Panel | Windows Update | In the left-hand menu, click on
"Check for updates" and NOT via http://updates.microsoft.com.

When (date & time) did you contact MS Windows Update Support and open
support case SRX1112861026?

Moving on...

Let's see if installing the newly-updated version of Windows Update Agent
manually resolves your problem.

[You may want to PRINT these instructions]

1. Assuming Vista 32-bit, right-click on the following link and SAVE the
download to your desktop, do not RUN it! =>
http://download.windowsupdate.com/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/7.4.7600.226/windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe

2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon the the
taskbar).

3. Right click on the file you saved in #1 above
(windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe) and select "Run as Administrator" to install
the updated version. Follow all prompts.

4. Test.

Tim wrote:
> Robear
>
> Thanks. When I downloaded the checker it ran before I could close my
> browser
> but here's the result from the CheckSUR log
> =================================
> Checking System Update Readiness.
> Binary Version 6.0.6002.22202
> Package Version 6.0
> 2009-09-26 18:41
>
> Checking Windows Servicing Packages
>
> Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs
>
> Checking Package Watchlist
>
> Checking Component Watchlist
>
> Checking Packages
>
> Checking Component Store

> No errors detected
>
> I tried to access the Updates site afterwards but couldn't get through.
>
>> Sabrina Shen is NOT an MS MVP and apparently isn't aware that an updated
>> (Sept-09) version of CheckSUR tool was released earlier this week: It's
>> supported in Vista SP2 and may be able to resolve your 0x80070002 error.
>>
>> Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for
>> Windows Server 2008, and for Windows 7 (September 2009)
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=947821
>>
>> Vista 32-bit:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=b4d90b06-c27d-4483-bc1f-04d43fa7b293
>>
>> Vista 64-bit:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=f6f353c0-d00e-43e7-97ef-0feefc7ff064
>>
>> As posted by my colleague MowGreen:
>>
>> <QP>
>> Please *note* that it is a 97 MB download.
>>
>> Once the download completes close all open programs and browsers.
>>
>> Now run Windows6.0-KB947821-v5-x86.msu by double left clicking on it as
>> you would an .exe file. It will take some time to run. When it's done,
>> the
>> error should be resolved. If not, open the log that CheckSUR created
>> located at
>>
>> WINDOWS\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log <=here
>>
>> Copy and paste it contents into a reply to this thread.
>> </QP>
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

<PASTE>
> [...]
>> the
>> email application being used. Most applications will provide you with
>> either
>> an "Attach" button or a Paper Clip Icon to click in order to attach a
>> file.
>> After clicking this button/icon you must browse to the file you wish to
>> attach and select it by either double clicking it or clicking it once and
>> then clicking on the "Attach" button.
>>
>> Please try my suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest
>> convenience. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to
>> let
>> me know.
>>
>> I look forward to your response.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Sabrina Shen
>> v-30sabs(a)mssupport.microsoft.com
>> Microsoft Windows Update Support Professional
<snip>

From: Tim on
Hi

I installed the software which changed the download dialogue box to separate
screens for Important and Optional updates.

I can also still get to this box via Start, All Progs, Windows Updates, and
still download the updates, but when I go to the MS Home Page, Security &
Updates, Windows Updates, a page appears that says it is checking if I have
the right software and then the same error.
--
TIA

Tim

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
I thought that might be the case. Unlike WinXP, you CANNOT run a manual
check for updates via http://update.microsoft.com, only from within Vista
itself.

IOW everything's OK.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last