From: Tim on
Hi

I get automatic Windows Updates fine, and can also download them by going
into All Programme, Updades, but I can't access the MS Updates site.

When I go to there a message says "Checking if your computer has the latest
version of Windows updating software for use with the website…" followed by a
page with error 0x80070002.

Solutions in other threads don't work, including disabling Update & deleting
temporary update files, renaming a file "rename.bat" and using the Fixit
programme.

How else can I get into Updates?

--
TIA

Tim
From: maral on

"Tim" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I get automatic Windows Updates fine, and can also download them by going
> into All Programme, Updades, but I can't access the MS Updates site.
>
> When I go to there a message says "Checking if your computer has the latest
> version of Windows updating software for use with the website…" followed by a
> page with error 0x80070002.
>
> Solutions in other threads don't work, including disabling Update & deleting
> temporary update files, renaming a file "rename.bat" and using the Fixit
> programme.
>
> How else can I get into Updates?
>
> --
> TIA
>
> Tim
I hae the same problem
please help me
thanks
From: mohamed on

From: mohamed on

From: Tim on
When I didn't get a solution I went on the MS Forum and rec'd this from an MS
MVP. I didn't download the SRUT in the 2nd solution as it's for SP1 and I'm
on SP2 but bhe suggestions didn't work yet so I sent the files and am waiting
for a reply.

Dear Tim,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Windows Update Support. My name is
Sabrina, and I am glad to work with you. For your reference, the case ID for
this service request is SRX1112861026.

From the problem description, I understand that it failed to search for the
updates with the error code 0x80070002. After renamed the SD folder, the
issue persists. Please feel free to let me know if I misunderstood.

This issue can be caused by many factors, such as:

1. Improper Internet Explorer settings.
2. Corrupted Windows Update temporary folder.
3. Corrupted system files

We will address some of the more common causes of this issue. It is
important that we attempt to connect to the Windows Update web site after
each step to confirm whether the resolution has worked. This will prevent us
from having to proceed with additional troubleshooting steps and provide us
with valuable feedback to further develop our support resolutions for you and
our future customers. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Step 1 Use the System File Checker (SFC) to scan system files
The System File Checker tool gives an administrator the ability to scan all
protected files to verify their versions. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Click "Start", type "CMD" (without quotation marks) in the "Start Search"
box. Right click on the "CMD.exe" file, choose "Run as Administrator".
2. Copy and paste "SFC /Scannow" (without quotation marks) in the "Open"
box, and click "OK".

Note: There is a SPACE between "SFC" and "/Scannow", this command will take
several minutes to complete and may require access to the Windows
installation source files. If prompted to insert the CD, click "Continue"
each time it prompts.

Step 2 System Update Readiness Tool
==============================
This issue can occur due to corrupted system files. System resources, such
as file data, registry data, and even in-memory data, can develop
inconsistencies during the lifetime of the operating system. These
inconsistencies might be caused by various hardware failures or might be
caused by software issues. In some cases, these inconsistencies can affect
the Windows servicing store, and they can cause software updates not to work.
The System Update Readiness Tool tries to resolve these inconsistencies. When
the System Update Readiness Tool detects incorrect manifests, files, or
registry data, it might replace the incorrect data with a corrected version.

1. Please download the System Update Readiness Tool from the link below
according to your System Type:

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista 32-bit
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2889489c-ee87-4607-8aa5-812e8078ab27&DisplayLang=en

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista 64-bit
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=14f76773-007c-493f-bece-243bc21ac73d&DisplayLang=en

2. Double click on the downloaded file to run the System Update Readiness
Tool and restart the computer.

After that, let's go to retry our update issue again. If the issue persists,
let's go take the next step.

Step 3 Reset Internet Explorer settings
=============================
1. Please open Internet Explorer, click "Tools", and click "Internet Options".
2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab.
3. Refer to "Reset Internet Explorer Settings" section, and click "Reset".
4. Click "Close" when the resetting process is complete.
5. Uncheck the "Enable third-party browser extensions" option in the
Browsing box.
6. Click "Apply", click "OK".

For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base
Article:

How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/en-us

Now try Windows Update to see if the issue has been resolved.

If the issue persists, please help gather the following information for
further research.

How to capture a screenshot if an error message is received
===========================
1. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.
2. Click "Start", type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.
3. In the Paint program, click "Edit", click "Paste". Then click "File", and
click "Save".
4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File
name:" box, for example: "screenshot".
5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as
type" box, click "Desktop" on the left pane and then click "Save".

Please send this saved JPEG file to my email account at
v-30sabs(a)mssupport.microsoft.com

How to collect the System Information
===========================
The System Information can provide us with more information about the
current status of the system. I would like to check it for you. Please send
it to me using the following steps:

1. Click "Start", type "MSINFO32" in the Search Bar and press Enter to start
System Information.
2. On the popup window, on the menu bar, click "File", and click "Save",
type a file name and then choose NFO as "Save as type", click "Desktop" on
the left pane, and click "Save".

Please send it as an attachment to v-30sabs(a)mssupport.microsoft.com. If the
file is too large to be sent, please right-click on the exported file, choose
"Send To" -> "Compressed (zipped) Folder", and then send the zip file to
v-30sabs(a)mssupport.microsoft.com for further research.

How to collect the WindowsUpdate.log file
===========================
1. Click "Start", type "WindowsUpdate.log" (without the quotes) in the
Search Bar and Press Enter. We will see a file named "WindowsUpdate.log"
2. Now click "File" and then click "Save As".
3. From the left panel, click "Desktop" and click "Save".

The file will be saved to your Desktop. Please send the file as an
attachment in an email to v-30sabs(a)mssupport.microsoft.com.

Note: When attaching files to emails, the process will vary depending on the
email application being used. Most applications will provide you with either
an "Attach" button or a Paper Clip Icon to click in order to attach a file.
After clicking this button/icon you must browse to the file you wish to
attach and select it by either double clicking it or clicking it once and
then clicking on the "Attach" button.

Please try my suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest
convenience. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to let
me know.

I look forward to your response.

Best Regards,

Sabrina Shen
v-30sabs(a)mssupport.microsoft.com
Microsoft Windows Update Support Professional

Satisfied customers are my top priority. Please let either myself or my
manager know what you think of the level of service provided. You can send
feedback directly to my manager, Roger Yuan at:
v-30rogy(a)mssupport.microsoft.com

Bing.com was designed to help you overcome search overload and make faster,
more informed decisions when searching online. Try Bing now at
http://www.bing.com
--
TIA

Tim

"maral" wrote:

> "Tim" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I get automatic Windows Updates fine, and can also download them by going
> > into All Programme, Updades, but I can't access the MS Updates site.
> >
> > When I go to there a message says "Checking if your computer has the latest
> > version of Windows updating software for use with the website…" followed by a
> > page with error 0x80070002.
> >
> > Solutions in other threads don't work, including disabling Update & deleting
> > temporary update files, renaming a file "rename.bat" and using the Fixit
> > programme.
> >
> > How else can I get into Updates?
> >
> > --
> > TIA