From: Biddoo on
I'm trying to fix a problem our students are having with an instructional CD
that was made by Ivy Software. I'm getting an error "Authorware Runtime has
stopped working". I have spent a considerable amount of time trying to
diagnose and fix this problem.

So far we have been unsuccessful getting it to work on a Lenovo factory (OEM)
HDD image. It works fine on all other PCs running any OS and any version of
IE. I?m providing some links to documentation I found that may be of help with
the diagnosis, although none of these documents have solved the problem. I
have also noticed that the web installation, the first link below, for the
newest version of the Authorware Player errors out on the Lenovo image but
works on other PCs. I have put a call into Adobe to get the distributable
installer for this updated version, as described in the 13295 "Technote", but
I'm not holding my breath. The Adobe support rep. said they would mail me an
FTP location to dl this installer, "if they can find it". :-P

It appears that there is no installation, the entire module runs directly from
the CD and does not install anything to the HDD. The files on the CD utilize
the Macormedia product called Authorware which comes as both a development
program and an add-in for browsers. The error message we get when we autorun
the CD is "Authorware Runtime has stopped working". It isn't clear to me
exactally what it is running from the CD and or from the OS when displaying
this Macromedia Authorware software CD, since the Task manager shows only
"start.exe" running from the CD. Start.exe shows it is Macromedia Authorware
7.02 in its file properties.

Macromedia Authorware Player Download Center

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveAu
thorware
Authorware Web Players
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_15966&sliceId=1
Troubleshooting Authorware Web Player for Windows
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14720&sliceId=1
How to install or uninstall the Authorware Web Player ActiveX control
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_13295&sliceId=1

Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely, Garth

From: Chicago AW Guy on
This is not an Authorware error message.
It must be being generated by the OS, and as you say, the AW piece runs fine
on other platforms.
I'd direct your enquiries to Lenovo, and ask them under what circumstances the
OS throws that error message.

From: Amy Blankenship-Adobe Community Expert on

"Chicago AW Guy" <webforumsuser(a)macromedia.com> wrote in message
> This is not an Authorware error message.
> It must be being generated by the OS, and as you say, the AW piece runs
> fine
> on other platforms.
> I'd direct your enquiries to Lenovo, and ask them under what circumstances
> the
> OS throws that error message.

You may also want to contact Ivy, since they have the most knowledge over
what the program is actually doing. I suspect nothing you do with the web
player will work, since they've probably packaged it as an exe.

HTH;

Amy

From: BanksFriend on
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the help with this one. We have spent about 200 man hours
trying to figure this one out.

Some updates:
The software runs fine on this hardware platform, but not on the image that we
pushed out to students.

For troubleshooting we took two approaches, build up and tear down.
Tear Down: We started with our non-functioning image and removed every piece
of software one piece at a time in order to try to get the authorware runtime
to function. We were unable, even after uninstalling everything from the base
OS Install (Vista Business).

Build up: We started with a base Vista OS, whereupon the software worked
properly. We added every piece of software that was put on our image piece by
piece. We could not get this to NOT work.

I really believe that the issue IS related to authorware. Downloading and
installing Authorware 7.1 trial version was successful, but we were unable to
launch the application. The error message from this was "Authorware has
stopped working".

Any ideas?

Thanks for you help,

Andy

From: Amy Blankenship-Adobe Community Expert on

"BanksFriend" <webforumsuser(a)macromedia.com> wrote in message
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Thank you for the help with this one. We have spent about 200 man hours
> trying to figure this one out.
>
> Some updates:
> The software runs fine on this hardware platform, but not on the image
> that we
> pushed out to students.
>
> For troubleshooting we took two approaches, build up and tear down.
> Tear Down: We started with our non-functioning image and removed every
> piece
> of software one piece at a time in order to try to get the authorware
> runtime
> to function. We were unable, even after uninstalling everything from the
> base
> OS Install (Vista Business).
>
> Build up: We started with a base Vista OS, whereupon the software worked
> properly. We added every piece of software that was put on our image
> piece by
> piece. We could not get this to NOT work.

I think that somewhere along the line somebody installed something that left
things behind that an uninstaller could not remove.

> I really believe that the issue IS related to authorware. Downloading and
> installing Authorware 7.1 trial version was successful, but we were unable
> launch the application. The error message from this was "Authorware has
> stopped working".

How bout trying 7.02?