From: MValen on
I created a CBT product that incorporates various small movie scenes (swf). It
works fine in XP and earlier versions but when deployed to Vista it experiences
random crashes while playing the various swf. By random, I mean: one time it
might go through all the scenes seamlessly but on re-entering it might crash
part way through the 2nd swf or the next time part way through the 1st or 5th.

This is error that is generated:

"Authorware Runtime has stopped working"
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
AppName: Mod1.exe
AppVer:7.02.0
Application Timestamp: 406171.ea
Fault Module Name: FLASHAST.X32
Fault Module Version: 9.0.0.183
Fault Module Timestamp: 3d776de7
Exception Code: c0000005
ExceptionOffset: 00095990
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.256.6

I tried replacing the FLASHAST.X32 but it still crashes.

Any suggestions as to why this occuring only in the Vista environment? or what
I can do to correct the situation.

From: Erik **AdobeCommunityExpert** on
First, please send this in to Adobe as a bug. They've recently stated
they'll upgrade the web player to address any Vista issues, and this
could certainly be one that needs to be fixed. Additionally, if they
find problems with the current Flash asset, perhaps they'll finally
upgrade that asset so it'll properly play content beyond version 6!
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

I've not seen this reported before so no idea what a fix may be. If
nothing else, you could rework the piece to use the Flash ActiveX
control, perhaps, instead of the sprite...

Otherwise, what if you change the properties of the .exe to work in
'compatible' mode? I forget the specifics now, but somehow in the
properties you can tell it to run as 'Windows XP' or 'Windows 2000'...?
Erik

--
Erik Lord
http://www.capemedia.net
From: Steve Howard on

> First, please send this in to Adobe as a bug. They've recently stated
> they'll upgrade the web player to address any Vista issues, and this could
> certainly be one that needs to be fixed.

I think you have misunderstood what has been said. What has been said is
that they will fix know compatability issues with the *web player* that
occur in IE 7 and Vista. The reported issue here is with an Authorware exe.

> Additionally, if they find problems with the current Flash asset, perhaps
> they'll finally upgrade that asset so it'll properly play content beyond
> version 6!
> http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Again, I don't think this is correct. My understanding has been that changes
will only apply to the web player.

MValen - have you tested a cut-down version of your application? Can you
replicate the problem by, say, playing the same swf repeatedly?

Can you describe to us how you are using the swfs in your code? Are you
using a different Flash icon for each swf? Or are you using a single icon
and changint the file it plays via code? Anything else you can share?

I have been using Authorware daily with Vista for over a year (since Vista
was in Beta) and have not encountered any issues with playing swf files in
Vista, whether as exe or web packaged, up to this point.

Steve

--
Adobe Community Expert: Authorware, Flash Mobile and Devices
http://www.magnoliamultimedia.com

From: MValen on
Thanks for the responses Erik and Steve.
I tried changing the the properties of the .exe to Vista 'compatible' but
Vista wasn't offered as an option on Vista.

I did try to debug the problem by creating a very basic file by inserting a
single swf and a counter. The exe would randomly crash. (The counter showing
anywhere from 1 to 278 when it crashed).

Early modules used swfs made from AVIs while the later modules used swf
converted from MOVs. All the modules work in XP and earlier versions of
windows but crash in Vista.

The swfs are various "scenes" in a training "movie". Before each scene there
is an audio and text intro (display icon) then the swf (insert>media>flash
movie) then a decision icon (options set to: Repeat Until True, False, Branch
to calculated path, GetSpriteProperty(@"scn1swf", #playing) with an empty map
icon attached to the icon attached to the decision icon.

The decision icon is followed by an erase icon for the swf.

This is repeated for each scene so each scene has its own flash icon.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, since more and more people are buying
new computers, (especially with Christmas coming) and those computers have
Vista.

MValen

From: Erik **AdobeCommunityExpert** on
For the compatibility thing, you want to select Windows 2000 or XP,
since you're on Vista there won't be a 'Vista' setting - as you've found.

The way you converted the various media to SWFs, can you specify to what
version? If possible, you want to publish as Flash 6.

(and thanks for the clarification, Steve, I indeed get the two players
confused. Shame they'll update the web player but not the .exe runtime
when they are surely very similar)
Erik