From: Steve Howard on
> Thanks for the responses Erik and Steve.
> I tried changing the the properties of the .exe to Vista 'compatible' but
> Vista wasn't offered as an option on Vista.

Compatibility mode is there so you can set Vista to run your application
**as if** it were in XP, 2000, (* etc. SInce you are already running it in
Vista, it won't run 'as if' in Vista. In other words the change effects how
Vista treats your executable, it doesn't change the executable.

> I did try to debug the problem by creating a very basic file by inserting
> single swf and a counter. The exe would randomly crash. (The counter
> showing
> anywhere from 1 to 278 when it crashed).

OK, thanks.

> The swfs are various "scenes" in a training "movie". Before each scene
> there
> is an audio and text intro (display icon) then the swf (insert>media>flash
> movie) then a decision icon (options set to: Repeat Until True, False,
> Branch
> to calculated path, GetSpriteProperty(@"scn1swf", #playing) with an empty
> map
> icon attached to the icon attached to the decision icon.

So this code is a loop set to detect the end of the movie, right? When you
converted the movies to swf, did you create an unpackaged Flash file (fla)
before generating the swf file? If so, I can send you something that will
enable you to use a different, more elegant method to detect the end of the
movie.

Oh - one last question. Does the crash happen at the start of the Flash
movie? Near the end? Some other place?

Steve

--
Adobe Community Expert: Authorware, Flash Mobile and Devices
http://www.magnoliamultimedia.com

From: MValen on
Unfortunately only the swf was created.

The crash doesn't seem to occur consistently in any one spot, except to say it
doesn't crash immediately upon playing the flash. (It lets you get a false
sense of accomplishment when you're testing various scenarios!)

A programmer friend (who isn't familar with Authorware) suggests that the
randomness could be related to a buffer overflow??? Is that likely?

From: Steve Howard on
> Unfortunately only the swf was created.

Might still be a way to do it. Can you send me a small sample swf?

> The crash doesn't seem to occur consistently in any one spot, except to
> say it
> doesn't crash immediately upon playing the flash. (It lets you get a
> false
> sense of accomplishment when you're testing various scenarios!)

So it crashes at any point **while** the swf is playing?

> A programmer friend (who isn't familar with Authorware) suggests that the
> randomness could be related to a buffer overflow??? Is that likely?

Hard to say.

There has been a report in the past where iterating through multiple
decision icons a zillion times eventually causes a crash. That's why I want
you to try a different way to catch the end of the movie.

Actually, you can try it yourself using an interaction icon with a
calculated response that uses the same expression you currently use in your
decision icon. The method I prefer to use has Flash tell Authorware when
it's finished playing, but if you get no crash using the interaction icon
then you have your answer ...

Steve

From: Mike Baker **Adobe Community Expert** on
The exception # c0000005 is called an 'Access violoation' meaning the
application attempted to access an area of memory (or system resource) that
was not allocated to it. This can often occur from a buffer overrun. For
instance when the system attempts to get the size of a piece of text it does
so by looking for the NULL character at the end. If the programmer forgot to
put a NULL at the end then it can run past the end of the buffer... buffer
overrun. It can also happen by attempting to delete something twice, or by
miscalculating the location of something, or a number of other reasons.
This appears to be happening inside the Flash Asset Xtra which is a copy of
the Flash player embedded inside the xtra. It could be the xtra or it could
be the Flash player. It might have even been found and corrected but the
xtra hasn't been updated with the latest player.
An engineer with a map of the module would be able to find the spot by going
to 'offset' listed in the bug report. If you log the bug on Adobe's website
and include the text from the first post to this thread they'll have a much
greater chance of finding it.

I have no idea if fixing xtras is included in the topic of fixing the
player. I'll pass on that question.

The next thing I'd try is to re-build the little test application with the
ActiveX instead of the xtra. I'd also start looking at other parts of the
program. I have had experiences with Linear List and Property List data
types that have caused crashes of this type.

HTH,
Mike
====================
Mike Baker
Adobe Community Expert
mike-baker(a)cox.net

From: MValen on
Thanks to Steve Howard and Mike Baker I now have the swf movies playing in
Vista. Further testing (myself and Steve) of a simple file using the flash
asset (insert>media>flash movie) and an embedded swf indicated that the problem
is, as Mike suggested, .. a buffer overrun in the Flash Asset Xtra . As
suggested I switched to the Flash ActiveX (insert>control>ActiveX(Shockwave
Flash Object) and called in the external swfs and it now works great..

Thanks for the help. it is really appreciated