From: Jeffrey on
I'm currently running Windows Server 2008 x64 + IIS7.0. When creating web
sites, I initially get the error "Unknown: The object identifier does not
represent a valid object. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800710D8)".

Here's where the confusion is. After creating the web site (thus producing
this error)and then click on any feature in the IIS7 Manager UI and then
click back on the list of web sites, it shows that it's running with no
problems.

The problem is that we're using a web site hosting control panel that
programatically adds websites. The control panel is unable to create the site
since it too sees this initial error as well.

I've attempted the fix the blog below links to but to no avail:
http://improve.dk/blog/2009/07/08/iis7-the-object-identifier-does-not-represent-a-valid-object

Note that I'm able to create appliation pools with no problems at all. Only
creating websites (either with an existing application pool or a new one)
produces the initial error then goes away after clicking on various items in
the IIS7 UI.

If anyone has any ideas as to what this might be, it would be greatly
appreciated:-]
Thanks!