From: Runaround on
I experienced the dreaded blue screen. After the computer re-started I could
not open my Outloook, and received the error message, "Errors have been
detected the the Outlook.pst file.l It further instructed me to use the
Inbox repair tool (Scanpst.exe) to diagnose and repair errors in the file. I
ran Scanpst.exe and it detects errors but freezes up when the 'repair' button
is clicked. No repairs result.
I found the Scanpst.exe in Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 12.
I am running Office 2007
Operating Sytem is XP Service Pack 2 (maybe 3)
Is there somewhere I can download a new scanpst.exe file? Or what do you
suggest I do now?
Thanks.
From: DL on
Did you maybe make a note of the actual BSOD msg?
And if you try scanpst.exe again does it run?
If you know your drive maker, have you downloaded/created their bootable
disk checking utility?

From: Runaround on
( 1) The msg reads, "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the
Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. Errors have been
detected in the File C:......./Outlook.pst. Quit Outlook and all
mail-enabled applications, and then use the Inbox repair tool (Scanpst.exe)
to diagnose and repair errors in the file."
(2) I ran scanpst.exe several times. I shut all applications and processes
down. As I said, the application runs, but crashes when the 'repair' button
is clicked. I have to 'end now' to get it to close.
(3) I will download my drive makers bootable disk checking utility now and
try that.
Thanks.

From: TT on
See this link

http://www.slipstick.com/problems/scanpst.asp

TT

From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on

> (2) I ran scanpst.exe several times. I shut all applications and processes
> down. As I said, the application runs, but crashes when the 'repair' button
> is clicked.

First you say it freezes, then you say it crashes. Those aren't the same
thing. Which is it? If the latter, what error gets generated?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]