From: Martin on
Sounds like the fix we need - we will pass it on to the hardware support
for this site

From: Martin on
Could it be a rights issue as my boss says he has done updates logged in
as administrator?

From: Geoff Schaller on
MORE PLEASE <g>

I don't know what :Create() is, what class it comes from and whether or
not the actual error is on this line or inside the method call. Plus
more info: it works under scenario A but not scenario B and the
difference is....

Geoff

From: Geoff Schaller on
Jon.

100% useless and 100% unnecessary.
(we have multiple installations like this)
You should NOT change these settings. Ever.

Look to other causes.

Geoff

From: Geoff Schaller on
Richard.

You let your prejudices and inexperience colour your responses. Don't.
It is beneath you and I know you are better than that.

> It would be nice to have a full set of dodgy things on windows 7 and
> smb going.

There are none.

> A lot of us use temporary files.

As do we. Simply use the default user or public temp folder location. It
is guaranteed to exist (XP, Vista, W7, W2003 and W2008) and the user is
guaranteed access to it. They are standard defines and have been
available in the W32 API for VO since 1996.

> We have several Windows 7 users, and once the config has been
> carefully setup it is all ok. but the UAC is an installation menace to
> put it mildly.

You do not need to modify UAC if you are careful with your install and
how you operate your application. It is even easier to use under W7
because they relaxed some of the rules. Of course your interaction with
UAC is limited during an install if you insist on using lesser tools
like InnoSetup but it can be bypassed easily enough.

> is there a single ms resource thats describes all of this ? there are
> innumerable ms hosted blogs that range from near 4 letter words to
> "microshaft" which describes my feelings best ...

If you look for hate blogs you will find them. It doesn't mean that
everything you read there is born of tolerance and patience. It usually
isn't and the troglodytes reign supreme in such places.

> a) where is it best to write an error log - the directory where the

None of those places. Create your error log folder in either the user
data area (for one per user) or the public data area (for one per
machine for all users). These are standard defines - I have already
posted the code this week. I keep saying: users ALWAYS have rights to
these locations, no matter what the UAC setting. That was why such
things were created. To give application developers safe places to use
and to give virus writers a hard time. It worked.

> c) is it better now to use the registry rather than our TDOC.INI
> located in the c:\tdoc5\system directory ... again, a commonly

No. Simply put your ini file in the correct location. The registry is
still heavily used, especially by Microsoft, but you have to be aware of
the complexities if writing for 32 and 64 bit targets. The advantages of
the registry is that it is backed up and restored by the machine (you
can also create your own restore points) and it can be secured against
tampering. Ini files are notorious for user fiddling.

> GEOFF - being the ms expert - perhaps you can comment ..

I do not classify myself as an MS expert but given I have to live with
it, I do my best to investigate and research how to make it work for me
and my applications and ultimately, for the end user.

Geoff