From: markm75 on
I'm receiving eventid 214: Information Store (3396) First Storage
Group: The backup has stopped with error -521. In the event viewer,
while the backup log itself shows this error:

The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Error returned from an ESE
function call (d).

' from a call to 'HrESEBackupSetup()' additional data '-'The
'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Functions called in an invalid
sequence.

' from a call to 'HrESEBackupClose()' additional data '-'

This occurs for a full backup.

I recently had a crashed and corrupted Exchange 2003 sp2 server, which
i ran eseutil /p on each database. All of the logs are still in the
folder dating back to when it crashed.

I'm assuming I cant just delete these transaction log files and start
fresh?

Is there some sort of workaround for this error?

Thanks for any help

From: Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] on
markm75 <markm75c(a)msn.com> wrote:
> I'm receiving eventid 214: Information Store (3396) First Storage
> Group: The backup has stopped with error -521. In the event viewer,
> while the backup log itself shows this error:
>
> The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Error returned from an ESE
> function call (d).
>
> ' from a call to 'HrESEBackupSetup()' additional data '-'The
> 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Functions called in an invalid
> sequence.
>
> ' from a call to 'HrESEBackupClose()' additional data '-'
>
> This occurs for a full backup.
>
> I recently had a crashed and corrupted Exchange 2003 sp2 server, which
> i ran eseutil /p on each database. All of the logs are still in the
> folder dating back to when it crashed.
>
> I'm assuming I cant just delete these transaction log files and start
> fresh?
>
> Is there some sort of workaround for this error?
>
> Thanks for any help

This can occur when you're backing up system state in the same job -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/820272

(btw, that was the result of a very quick google search; it's always good to
google before posting).

From: markm75 on
On Jun 11, 11:12 am, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<lanwe...(a)heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmailatyahoo.com> wrote:
> markm75 <markm...(a)msn.com> wrote:
> > I'm receiving eventid 214: Information Store (3396) First Storage
> > Group: The backup has stopped with error -521. In the event viewer,
> > while the backup log itself shows this error:
>
> > The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Error returned from an ESE
> > function call (d).
>
> > ' from a call to 'HrESEBackupSetup()' additional data '-'The
> > 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Functions called in an invalid
> > sequence.
>
> > ' from a call to 'HrESEBackupClose()' additional data '-'
>
> > This occurs for a full backup.
>
> > I recently had a crashed and corrupted Exchange 2003 sp2 server, which
> > i ran eseutil /p on each database. All of the logs are still in the
> > folder dating back to when it crashed.
>
> > I'm assuming I cant just delete these transaction log files and start
> > fresh?
>
> > Is there some sort of workaround for this error?
>
> > Thanks for any help
>
> This can occur when you're backing up system state in the same job -http://support.microsoft.com/kb/820272
>
> (btw, that was the result of a very quick google search; it's always good to
> google before posting).- Hide quoted text -

I am not backing up the system state in the same job... And yes I have
googled this, only to find one other article which may not even
pertain.

Thanks

From: Oliver Moazzezi on
Hi,

Seeing you have Enterprise Edition (you mention having multiple mailstores)
and seeing you've had to hard repair each database, I would do the
following:

1) Create new mailstores
2) Move all mailboxes from your repaired stores to your nice new clean
databases.
3) Remove/delete the old mailstores

Things to note:

1. You will have to re-home the System Attendant mailbox
2. If you can create new Storage Groups go with that, you can then delete
your Transaction Logs from your old Storage Groups and get rid of the
orphaned logs..

Oliver

From: markm75 on
On Jun 11, 1:25 pm, "Oliver Moazzezi" <o.moazzez...(a)SPAMfreenet.co.uk>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Seeing you have Enterprise Edition (you mention having multiple mailstores)
> and seeing you've had to hard repair each database, I would do the
> following:
>
> 1) Create new mailstores
> 2) Move all mailboxes from your repaired stores to your nice new clean
> databases.
> 3) Remove/delete the old mailstores
>
> Things to note:
>
> 1. You will have to re-home the System Attendant mailbox
> 2. If you can create new Storage Groups go with that, you can then delete
> your Transaction Logs from your old Storage Groups and get rid of the
> orphaned logs..
>
> Oliver

Actually, I am running standard edition, mutliple stores in this case
is just my main private one and the public one.

Does this still apply?

If I migrate things, is it pretty seemless.. or are there potential
problems and issues? I'd like to avoid having the end user notice
anything has changed.. I'm guessing i could do this in the evening
with a few clicks and then be done?

Or.. better yet.. in the next week or so I will be migrating this 2003
data to a new 2007 exchange server.. would I be better off waiting
till then.