From: David George David on
We are finding that we have a large (excessive?) amount of security prompts
when users visit SharePoint pages on MOSS 2007 SP2 running on IIS 7 / Windows
2008 Server (64 bit all around). We discovered this while analyzing page
load times over WAN (testing WAN acceleration). What we found was that
SharePoint prompts for authentication (401 response) over and over during the
course of the page load. We expected an initial prompt when the user first
visited the site and authenticated. However, for a given page that loads,
say 38 or so resources (scripts, images, html, etc.) abotu 28 or so 401
prompts were happening. Here at corporate HQ, the network is very fast and
those go unnoticed, but for WAN locations on other continents, the impact was
rather large. For the farm site using kerberos, there was only 1 401 prompt
per resource. For NTLM authentication, there were actually 2 prompts, one
from IIS 7 and one from HTTPAPI/2.0. I'm wondering if this is the default
behavior or if we have something wrong with our installation or configuration.
From: spconsultant on
A common cause is some component on the page where the end user is not
authorized.
For example, perhaps the site image is in a document librabry that the
user is not
authorized to the library. Or perhaps a custom icon for a given type
(perhaps PDF) is inthe
file system but the user does not have read rights to the file or
folder.