From: Philip on
I had this issue after I placed an image on the site's home page (with Sharepoint Designer) that resided in a file system folder sharepoint's account (or the users's accounts) didn't have access to.

Evan D wrote:

Sharepoint prompts for login credentials when not necessary
06-Feb-08

I have MOSS 2007. Frequently sharepoint will ask for login credentials when
going to the site, opening a document, etc even though it should be (and is)
getting the credentials from Windows. Usually I can just hit Cancel to the
login prompt and I can get in/open the document or do whatever I was doing.
This does not always happen, however. Sometimes it doesn't prompt me and
lets me through as it should using Windows Authentication.
Any ideas?

On Wednesday, February 06, 2008 5:52 PM
Evan D wrote:

Sharepoint prompts for login credentials when not necessary
I have MOSS 2007. Frequently sharepoint will ask for login credentials when
going to the site, opening a document, etc even though it should be (and is)
getting the credentials from Windows. Usually I can just hit Cancel to the
login prompt and I can get in/open the document or do whatever I was doing.
This does not always happen, however. Sometimes it doesn't prompt me and
lets me through as it should using Windows Authentication.
Any ideas?

On Thursday, February 07, 2008 1:28 AM
v-rozha wrote:

RE: Sharepoint prompts for login credentials when not necessary
------=_NextPart_0001_1708FAB5

Hello Evan,

Based on my experience, if this issue occurs on all the client, you need to check the Authentication Settings:

Central Administration > Application Management > Authentication Providers, choose a Web Application and click the Default link to navigate to "Edit
Authentication" page. Make sure "Integrated Windows authentication - NTLM" is selected in "IIS Authentication Settings" section.

Also, add the SharePoint site to your IE trusted zone, and make sure the "Automatic logon with current user name and password" is selected under User
Authentication section in the Trusted Sites Security Settings.

If the client is Windows Vista, please check the following KB article for the known issue:

You are prompted to enter your credentials when you access an FQDN site by using a Windows Vista-based client computer that has no proxy configured
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943280

As prompt authentication issue is a common issue, if the problem persists, you can provide more information to help narrow down this issue:

1. Does this issue occur on specific users or clients?
2. What is URL the problem client is trying to access? Is the URL is included in the SharePoint AAM (Alternate Access Mappings) settings? To check the
AAM setting: Central Administration > Operations > Alternate Access Mappings.

I hope it will be helped.

Sincerely,
Robert Zhao
Microsoft Online Support

When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

--------------------
From: "Evan D" <IT FIX(a)community.nospam>
Subject: Sharepoint prompts for login credentials when not necessary
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 15:52:28 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sharepoint.windowsservices

I have MOSS 2007. Frequently sharepoint will ask for login credentials when
going to the site, opening a document, etc even though it should be (and is)
getting the credentials from Windows. Usually I can just hit Cancel to the
login prompt and I can get in/open the document or do whatever I was doing.
This does not always happen, however. Sometimes it doesn't prompt me and
lets me through as it should using Windows Authentication.
Any ideas?

------=_NextPart_0001_1708FAB5

\viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs20 Hello Evan,
\par
\par Based on my experience, if this issue occurs on all the client, you need to check the Authentication Settings:
\par
\par Central Administration > Application Management > Authentication Providers, choose a Web Application and click the Default link to navigate to "Edit Authentication" page. Make sure "Integrated Windows authentication - NTLM" is selected in "IIS Authentication Settings" section.
\par
\par Also, add the SharePoint site to your IE trusted zone, and make sure the "Automatic logon with current user name and password" is selected under User Authentication section in the Trusted Sites Security Settings.
\par
\par If the client is Windows Vista, please check the following KB article for the known issue:
\par
\par You are prompted to enter your credentials when you access an FQDN site by using a Windows Vista-based client computer that has no proxy configured
\par http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943280
\par
\par As prompt authentication issue is a common issue, if the problem persists, you can provide more information to help narrow down this issue:
\par
\par 1. Does this issue occur on specific users or clients?
\par 2. What is URL the problem client is trying to access? Is the URL is included in the SharePoint AAM (Alternate Access Mappings) settings? To check the AAM setting: Central Administration > Operations > Alternate Access Mappings.
\par
\par I hope it will be helped.
\par
\par Sincerely,
\par Robert Zhao
\par Microsoft Online Support
\par Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
\par
\par When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
\par
\par \pard\li720 --------------------
\par From: "Evan D" <IT FIX(a)community.nospam>
\par Subject: Sharepoint prompts for login credentials when not necessary
\par Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 15:52:28 -0700
\par Lines: 8
\par Message-ID: <42D7AC73-C659-401B-B751-68C951C99FBC(a)microsoft.com>
\par MIME-Version: 1.0
\par Content-Type: text/plain;
\par \tab format=flowed;
\par \tab charset="iso-8859-1";
\par \tab reply-type=original
\par Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
\par X-Priority: 3
\par X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
\par X-Newsreader: Microsoft Windows Mail 6.0.6000.16480
\par X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.0.6000.16545
\par X-MS-CommunityGroup-MessageCategory: \{E4FCE0A9-75B4-4168-BFF9-16C22D8747EC\}
\par X-MS-CommunityGroup-PostID: \{42D7AC73-C659-401B-B751-68C951C99FBC\}
\par Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sharepoint.windowsservices
\par Path: TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl
\par Xref: TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl microsoft.public.sharepoint.windowsservices:10839
\par NNTP-Posting-Host: TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl 127.0.0.1
\par X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.sharepoint.windowsservices
\par
\par I have MOSS 2007. Frequently sharepoint will ask for login credentials when
\par going to the site, opening a document, etc even though it should be (and is)
\par getting the credentials from Windows. Usually I can just hit Cancel to the
\par login prompt and I can get in/open the document or do whatever I was doing.
\par This does not always happen, however. Sometimes it doesn't prompt me and
\par lets me through as it should using Windows Authentication.
\par Any ideas?
\par
\par \pard
\par
\par }
------=_NextPart_0001_1708FAB5--

On Monday, February 11, 2008 9:22 AM
v-rozha wrote:

RE: Sharepoint prompts for login credentials when not necessary
------=_NextPart_0001_1197D310

Hello Evan,

How's everything going?

I'm wondering if the suggestion has helped or if you have any further questions. Please feel free to respond to the newsgroups if I can assist further.

From: "Evan D" <IT FIX(a)community.nospam>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 15:52:28 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sharepoint.windowsservices

I have MOSS 2007. Frequently sharepoint will ask for login credentials when
going to the site, opening a document, etc even though it should be (and is)
getting the credentials from Windows. Usually I can just hit Cancel to the
login prompt and I can get in/open the document or do whatever I was doing.
This does not always happen, however. Sometimes it doesn't prompt me and
lets me through as it should using Windows Authentication.
Any ideas?

------=_NextPart_0001_1197D310

\viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs20 Hello Evan,
\par
\par How's everything going?
\par
\par I'm wondering if the suggestion has helped or if you have any further questions. Please feel free to respond to the newsgroups if I can assist further.
\par
\par Sincerely,
\par Robert Zhao
\par Microsoft Online Support
\par Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
\par
\par When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
\par
\par \pard\li720 --------------------
\par X-Tomcat-ID: 60414419
\par References: <42D7AC73-C659-401B-B751-68C951C99FBC(a)microsoft.com>
\par MIME-Version: 1.0
\par Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_0001_1708FAB5"
\par Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
\par From: v-rozhao(a)online.microsoft.com (Robert Zhao [MSFT])
\par Organization: Microsoft
\par Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 06:28:47 GMT
\par Subject: RE: Sharepoint prompts for login credentials when not necessary
\par X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.sharepoint.windowsservices
\par Message-ID: <bft$0KVaIHA.4200(a)TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl>
\par Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sharepoint.windowsservices
\par Lines: 181
\par Path: TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl
\par Xref: TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl microsoft.public.sharepoint.windowsservices:10842
\par NNTP-Posting-Host: tomcatimport1.phx.gbl 10.201.218.122
\par
\par Hello Evan,
\par \pard\li1440 --------------------
[...]
------=_NextPart_0001_1197D310--

On Saturday, February 16, 2008 1:45 AM
Jorge Egoavil wrote:

Re: Sharepoint prompts for login credentials when not necessary
On Feb 11, 9:22=A0am, v-roz...(a)online.microsoft.com (Robert Zhao [MSFT])
wrote:
tions. =A0Please feel free to respond to the newsgroups if I can assist furt=
her.
=3D=3D=3D=3D
hat others may learn and benefit from your issue.
=3D=3D=3D=3D
..
8FAB5"
0842
o check the Authentication Settings:
, choose a Web Application and click the Default link to navigate to
NTLM" is selected in "IIS Authentication Settings" section.
Automatic logon with current user name and password" is selected under
the known issue:
using a Windows Vista-based client computer that has no proxy
you can provide more information to help narrow down this issue:
ded in the SharePoint AAM (Alternate Access Mappings) settings? To
ess Mappings.
=3D=3D=3D=3D
hat others may learn and benefit from your issue.
=3D=3D=3D=3D
..
}
0839
s)

..

Hi Robert,

I am experiencing the same problems on my SharePoint 2007 environment.
There are some users who can access the site without being asked to
authenticate and others receive the login prompt. However, if the
users who receive the login prompt cancel, they can access the site
and read contents, but they cannot save or upload documents. I have
tried the steps above and no luck

Also, I checked the Applications logs and I am receiving 2 errors
every hour: 5553 and 7888. For what I checked it seems to be a profile
sync problem, but I couldn't find any successful solution to this
problem. Both issues starting around the same days. Do you know if
they might be related? and if so, do you know if there is a possible
solution?

Thanks in advance,

On Tuesday, February 19, 2008 1:08 AM
LA wrote:

Hi Robert-We are having the exact same issue.
Hi Robert-
We are having the exact same issue. Our environment is WSS & SP 2007 (SP1
has not been installed). We have 2 WFE's and one Index server in a farm with
3 site collections that has been up for about 6 months, and this issue
started last week. Some users are being prompted for their credentials,
which even if entered correctly, are not accepted. After 2-3 tries the
prompt goes away and they are allowed to enter the site. Pressing cancel at
the first prompt gives the same results. From the beginning it has been our
practice to add our sites into the trusted zone.

I've checked the items you suggested and the settings all look correct. We
have several locations (which are all part of the same AD structure). Even
more bizarre is we have seen the issue clear itself up in at least one
location, but still exists in a few other locations or if you are logged in
thru our VPN.

We noticed several MS updates were pushed out to our clients last week. Is
it possible some of the latest updates may be providing a conflict? We are
using both IE7 and IE6. There is also a DC for each location, could that
also be part of the puzzle?

My laptop is one that had this issue last week, but today it did not.
However, logged in thru our VPN this evening the issue was back. Our network
guys have said no changes have been made to the firewalls. One final piece
of info, which I'm not sure is related or not. When logged in thru the VPN
and trying to reply to this post, the reply form came up distorted and I was
not able to post to the site. I exited from the VPN, immediately opened IE
and went back to this site and had no problem using this reply form.

Any guidance you can provide would be most appreciated.

thank you.

Linda

"Jorge Egoavil" wrote:

On Tuesday, March 11, 2008 11:05 PM
SharePointer wrote:

Re: Sharepoint prompts for login credentials when not necessary
On Feb 19, 2:08=A0am, LAM <L...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
P1
with

l at
our
=A0We
ven
=A0Is
are
twork
ece
VPN
as
IE
questions. =A0Please feel free to respond to the newsgroups if I can assist =
further.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
ghts..
_1708FAB5"
ry
es:10842
ed to check the Authentication Settings:
ders, choose a Web Application and click the Default link to navigate to
on - NTLM" is selected in "IIS Authentication Settings" section.
he "Automatic logon with current user name and password" is selected under
for the known issue:
e by using a Windows Vista-based client computer that has no proxy
sts, you can provide more information to help narrow down this issue:
ncluded in the SharePoint AAM (Alternate Access Mappings) settings? To
Access Mappings.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
ghts..
47EC}
es:10839
when
nd is)
the
oing..
nd

Hi,

To solve the 401 unauthorized error that you receive when clicking on
the Mysite link make sure that you have a site collection created at
the root of your Mysite web app. If not then try creating a new site
collection in your Mysite web app using the Mysite host template found
under the enterprise tab. This little trick has worked for me in the
past.

Cheers,

Jason Medero
WSS MVP
www.sharepointblogs.com/jasonmedero

On Wednesday, March 12, 2008 1:02 AM
Mike Walsh wrote:

There's only one problem with your answer.
There's only one problem with your answer.

This is the newsgroup for people running either the WSS 2.0 product or
the 3.0 product, so he shouldn't have a MySite (which, as you know is
only in SPS 2003 or MOSS 2007)

Mike Walsh
WSS FAQ http://www.wssfaq.com / wss.collutions.com
I regret that private e-mail questions will not be answered

SharePointer wrote:

On Wednesday, March 19, 2008 11:31 PM
David Cheng wrote:

Is there any way to make this setting automatic for new users loggingin?
Is there any way to make this setting automatic for new users logging
in? I have a client who is using Sharepoint 3.0 through a hosting
provider. She has 30 users throughout the country who work for
different organizations and they are all annoyed by the constant login
prompting. The hosting provider says there's no easy solution.

Thanks
David

On Feb 7, 2:28 am, v-roz...(a)online.microsoft.com (Robert Zhao [MSFT])
wrote:

SharePoint Video Library Template Available For Download
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/223c6e57-f81f-44b3-ab05-5995f2b0ab63/sharepoint-video-library.aspx