From: Luke on
Hi All,
we recently installed a monitoring package that via WMI queries and such
magic (NO agent software is installed), is able to monitor what is happening
across the network.

One thing I notice on our Exchange server is that the CPU always seems to be
busy. Closer inspection of the server (watching task manager) shows that
indeed store.exe is using around 15 - 50 percent of the CPU time almost
always.

Now this might be nomal, having only just got this product I am not sure
what the CPU utilization was like before.. but with my experience in Exchange
5.5 (and yes I know they are very different beasts) the CPU did not usually
get thrashed so much.

The event logs on the Exchange server do not have any errors and everything
seems to be OK in terms of response time, etc..

This is a small network of about 50 to 60 users, Exchange 2007 SP1 Rollup 8
on Windows 2003 Server x64 R2. We have LCR and SCR configured to run to
another server. The volume of mail being sent and received from this server
is very low.

The server itself only runs Exchange, Kaspersky Mail Security for Exchange,
and Kaspersky Antivirus (with exclusions for System/Exchange files). I have
watched the real time AV monitor to make sure nothing from Exchange is being
scanned and it all looks good.

I just wonder what a peoples store.exe CPU time looks like out there!

Cheers.
From: Ed Crowley [MVP] on
LCR can't run to another server.

You can turn off antivirus for a short while and see what your CPU numbers
look like.
--
Ed Crowley MVP
..

From: Luke on
I should have phrased my sentence better.. we are running LCR on the local
machine and SCR to another machine.

I have tried turning off the Antivirus, but it didn't seem to make a
difference :S

I mean if you saw an Exchange 2007 server working normally, but hovering
around 40% CPU most of the time, and store.exe using that CPU.. would you be
concerned at all?

Cheers!
From: Ed Crowley [MVP] on
What is your store maintenance schedule?
--
Ed Crowley MVP
..

From: Luke on
Each store has a 1 hour window with the first being 1am, the second store
2am, etc.. This is for all 7 days of the week.

This was setup by someone else though.. and although the stores are fairly
small (not more then a few GB each) I am wondering if this is enough time to
get all the work done.. I know exchange will pick up where it left off in the
next window, but that doesn't seem ideal to me.