From: Androcles on

"Jonah Thomas" <jethomas5(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> "Androcles" <Headmaster(a)Hogwarts.physics_o> wrote:

>> >much> > better than the one Newton used.

>> >than> > the one Michelson used.

>> > That's a minor detail. You know lasers have gotten a lot better and
>> > cheaper than they were in his day.
>>
>> Michelson died in 1934, the laser wasn't invented until 1958. It was
>> preceeded
>> by the maser. The first working laser was demonstrated on 16 May 1960
>> by Theodore Maiman at Hughes Research Laboratories.
>>
>> Your minor detail is a non-existent detail.
>
> Sure, not to mention Newton's diffraction grating and Fresnel's
> polaroid.
>
> Fresnel could have had a diffraction grating, though. If he didn't want
> to settle for a bird feather or something like that, he could have asked
> Fraunhofer for one.

I woke with a sudden thought that was so boring I went back to sleep to
forget about it. It was something like this thread...

From: Jonah Thomas on
eric gisse <jowr.pi.nospam(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Jonah Thomas wrote:
> > "Androcles" <Headmaster(a)Hogwarts.physics_o> wrote:
> >> "Jonah Thomas" <jethomas5(a)gmail.com> wrote

> >much> > better than the one Newton used.

> >than> > the one Michelson used.
> >> >
> >> Which laser did Michelson use?
> >
> > That's a minor detail. You know lasers have gotten a lot better and
> > cheaper than they were in his day.
>
> How expensive do you imagine a laser was in Michelson's day?

Let me put it this way, if you could have shown Michelson a laser and
offered to sell it to him, how much do you think he'd be willing to pay?
From: Androcles on

> eric gisse <jowr.pi.nospam(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Jonah Thomas wrote:

>> >much> > better than the one Newton used.

>> >than> > the one Michelson used.

>> > That's a minor detail. You know lasers have gotten a lot better and
>> > cheaper than they were in his day.
>>
>> How expensive do you imagine a laser was in Michelson's day?
>
> Let me put it this way, if you could have shown Michelson a laser and
> offered to sell it to him, how much do you think he'd be willing to pay?

He'd have charged it to the US Navy, they'd have to evaluate it.
They funded his experiments anyway.

From: eric gisse on

From: Jonah Thomas on
eric gisse <jowr.pi.nospam(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Jonah Thomas wrote:
> > eric gisse <jowr.pi.nospam(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> >better> >than> > the one Michelson used.

> >and> > cheaper than they were in his day.
> >>
> >> How expensive do you imagine a laser was in Michelson's day?
> >
> > Let me put it this way, if you could have shown Michelson a laser
> > and offered to sell it to him, how much do you think he'd be willing
> > to pay?
>
> How expensive do you imagine a laser was in Michelson's day?

There was no market. Lasers were not a commodity item back then. They
were vanishingly rare.

If you had a previously-undiscovered painting by Da Vinci, how much
would it sell for? Whatever the second-most avid buyer could afford,
right?

Like that. If you have the only laser in the world and nobody knows how
to make more, how much is it worth?