From: xxein on
On Oct 2, 11:11 am, Jonah Thomas <jethom...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I woke up with a sudden thought.
>
> For a few dollars I can buy a diffraction grating that's much much
> better than the one Newton used.
>
> And for a few dollars I can buy a laser that's much much better than the
> one Michelson used.
>
> And for a few dollars more I can buy a sheet of polaroid that's far
> better than the one Fresnel used.
>
> It ought to be pretty cheap and easy to replicate the old experiments,
> given modern technology. I got excited. I looked around the house. We
> had one place that would be perfect, a pretty long distance, half of it
> a narrow corridor, I could open the bedroom door to get more distance if
> needed, a mirror already mounted at the far end. Perfect! Particularly
> at night. Maybe I could show the results to my kids, they might be
> interested.
>
> So I went to my wife and asked her. "Honey, I was thinking I'd like to
> do some laser experiments, and the hall would be just perfect for it,
> would you mind if I set up some stuff there?"
>
> She laughed. "That's perfect! I like it! My husband wants to set up a
> laser lab in our hall. I'm going to dine out on that story for months."
>
> "OK, so you don't mind?"
>
> "Are you serious?! Hell no! Lasers around my kids? I like to joke about
> you being a mad scientist making death rays but no."
>
> "You don't mind the kids teasing the cat with lasers."
>
> "That's different."
>
> Maybe it isn't so easy after all.

xxein: What is your point? Did you prove anything new and
different? Are you even suggesting something?
From: eric gisse on
Jonah Thomas wrote:

> eric gisse <jowr.pi.nospam(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Jonah Thomas wrote:

>> >better> >than> > the one Michelson used.

>> >and> > cheaper than they were in his day.

>> > Let me put it this way, if you could have shown Michelson a laser
>> > and offered to sell it to him, how much do you think he'd be willing
>> > to pay?
>>
>> How expensive do you imagine a laser was in Michelson's day?
>
> There was no market. Lasers were not a commodity item back then. They
> were vanishingly rare.

The laser didn't exist until the early 1960's.

Christ. Find a new hobby.

From: Benj on
On Oct 2, 2:22 pm, "Androcles" <Headmas...(a)Hogwarts.physics_o> wrote:

> Michelson died in 1934, the laser wasn't invented until 1958. It was
> preceeded
> by the maser. The first working laser was demonstrated on 16 May 1960 by
> Theodore Maiman at Hughes Research Laboratories.
>
> Your minor detail is a non-existent detail.

Come on. That's just gummint claptrap. Everybody knows the Germans
invented lasers in secret and Michelson had one of those. The laser
technology was taken by the U.S. after WWII and then finally released
as if it was a new idea in 1958 along with ICBMs, UFOs, fiber optics,
transistors and all the other Nazi inventions that were gathered up in
project LUSTY and related projects. When it comes to real conspiracies
you guys are just babes in the woods.

From: Androcles on

"Benj" <bjacoby(a)iwaynet.net> wrote in message
On Oct 2, 2:22 pm, "Androcles" <Headmas...(a)Hogwarts.physics_o> wrote:

> Michelson died in 1934, the laser wasn't invented until 1958. It was
> preceeded
> by the maser. The first working laser was demonstrated on 16 May 1960 by
> Theodore Maiman at Hughes Research Laboratories.
>
> Your minor detail is a non-existent detail.

Come on. That's just gummint claptrap. Everybody knows the Germans
invented lasers in secret and Michelson had one of those. The laser
technology was taken by the U.S. after WWII and then finally released
as if it was a new idea in 1958 along with ICBMs, UFOs, fiber optics,
transistors and all the other Nazi inventions that were gathered up in
project LUSTY and related projects. When it comes to real conspiracies
you guys are just babes in the woods.

The Nazi party's last leader, Adolf Hitler, was appointed Chancellor of
Germany
by president Paul von Hindenburg in 1933.
Just one year for it to be a Nazi invention and given away to
the USA for Michelson's birthday prezzie before the old chap
croaked. The thing is, why didn't the Nazis invent the compact disc
to go along with it, flood the market with cheap records and win
the Eurovision Song Contest?

From: Benj on
On Oct 3, 12:27 am, "Androcles" <Headmas...(a)Hogwarts.physics_o> wrote:

> The Nazi party's last leader, Adolf Hitler, was appointed Chancellor of
> Germany
> by president Paul von Hindenburg in 1933.
> Just one year for it to be a Nazi invention and given away to
> the USA for Michelson's birthday prezzie before the old chap
> croaked. The thing is, why didn't the Nazis invent the compact disc
> to go along with it, flood the market with cheap records and win
> the Eurovision Song Contest?

Let's be thankful they didn't. (Basically because they refused to work
on it because it was "Jewish physics") Had they not been so
ethnically shortsighted they'd have won the war and we'd all be
speaking (singing) German now. :(

Speaking of CDs I worked on a device that was a thin film disk written
on by a laser back in the early 70s with some schoolmates of mine who
had a patent on it. The patent was assigned to another company who
retained the rights for data storage for point of sale use. My friends
had all other rights. [basic idea was the disk would record all bad
credit card numbers transmitted by radio overnight.They later went to
just calling in by phone instead.] My pals kept trying to figure out
what such a storage device would be good for if it wasn't for credit
card numbers? They couldn't think of a thing! I just smiled and said
nothing figuring if they couldn't figure it out, I sure as hell was
not going to make them rich. Eventually others did a slightly
different variation on the same idea for audio recording. Those
clowns suffered from the same syndrome in that they couldn't think of
using it for computer data storage either. Oh well, the smartest man
in the universe [Bill Gates] couldn't figure out the internet might be
useful either.