From: atledreier on
I have a database, and some data in that needs to be imported into
another database through Excel. I have no control over this, that's
the way it needs to be. These Excel files have certain columns, and
not all of them relevant for my database.

Can I make a query with the relevant fields from my database, and have
the needed columns inserted where appropriate?
Also, some of my relevant fields have different names than the Excel
template. Can I change the column headings in my query to match the
Excel template?
From: John Spencer on
For example if you have to export and leave columns 2 and 3 blank and rename
Field2 with a different name.

The SQL would look like this:
SELECT Field1, Null as Column2, Null as Column3, Field2 as Column4Name
FROM SomeTable

In query design view, insert new columns in the appropriate place and then enter
Field: Field1
Field: Column2: Null
Field: Column3: Null
Field: Column4Name: Field2

Horizontally that would look like (.|. represents the break between field cells).
Field1 .|. Column2: Null .|. Column3: Null .|. Column4Name: Field2

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County