From: David Kennedy on
Tim Hodgson wrote:
> What's the current opinion on these, other than "stay away from LaCie"?
>
> Looking for a 1TB 3.5" drive + enclosure, that spins down and up
> properly on sleep and wake. Quiet is good.
>
> Are the Western Digital Mybooks a safe bet? Any others worth a look?

2 LaCie here; the first - 80gig - is four years old and trouble free,
the second - 500gig - 2 years old and also without fault.

--
David Kennedy

http://www.anindianinexile.com
From: James Dore on
On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 15:56:40 +0100, David Kennedy
<davidkennedy(a)nospamherethankyou.invalid> wrote:

> Tim Hodgson wrote:
>> What's the current opinion on these, other than "stay away from LaCie"?
>> Looking for a 1TB 3.5" drive + enclosure, that spins down and up
>> properly on sleep and wake. Quiet is good.
>> Are the Western Digital Mybooks a safe bet? Any others worth a look?
>>

> 2 LaCie here; the first - 80gig - is four years old and trouble free,
> the second - 500gig - 2 years old and also without fault.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! YOUR MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION TO THE WORSHIPFUL COMPANY
OF FATE-TEMPTERS HAS BEEN PROCESSED CORRECTLY!

YOU WILL NOW RECIEVE LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP INCLUDING FREE SPECIAL OFFERS AND
A COMPLIMENTARY AND COMPLETELY RELIABLE EMAI
From: Duncan Kennedy on
In message <B-idnTvzN8Q17F7XnZ2dnUVZ8rFi4p2d(a)brightview.co.uk>, David
Kennedy <davidkennedy(a)nospamherethankyou.invalid> writes
>Tim Hodgson wrote:
>> What's the current opinion on these, other than "stay away from LaCie"?
>> Looking for a 1TB 3.5" drive + enclosure, that spins down and up
>> properly on sleep and wake. Quiet is good.
>> Are the Western Digital Mybooks a safe bet? Any others worth a look?
>>

>2 LaCie here; the first - 80gig - is four years old and trouble free,
>the second - 500gig - 2 years old and also without fault.

I have 2 la Cies on Vista and now one on Mac without problems (touch
wood - not superstitious about anything but computers). Perhaps 2 la
Cie's is a Kennedy thing! Also have a network WD that is a couple of
years old.

--
Duncan K
Downtown Dalgety Bay
From: David Kennedy on
Duncan Kennedy wrote:
> In message <B-idnTvzN8Q17F7XnZ2dnUVZ8rFi4p2d(a)brightview.co.uk>, David
> Kennedy <davidkennedy(a)nospamherethankyou.invalid> writes
>> Tim Hodgson wrote:
>>> What's the current opinion on these, other than "stay away from LaCie"?
>>> Looking for a 1TB 3.5" drive + enclosure, that spins down and up
>>> properly on sleep and wake. Quiet is good.
>>> Are the Western Digital Mybooks a safe bet? Any others worth a look?
>>>

>> 2 LaCie here; the first - 80gig - is four years old and trouble free,
>> the second - 500gig - 2 years old and also without fault.
>>
> I have 2 la Cies on Vista and now one on Mac without problems (touch
> wood - not superstitious about anything but computers). Perhaps 2 la
> Cie's is a Kennedy thing! Also have a network WD that is a couple of
> years old.

My daughter got the 80 gig as a backup at Uni and she is on a par with
Zoara when it comes to laptops yet the HD has given her no problems at all.

From: Duncan Kennedy on
In message <I4udndSK2_wi5l7XnZ2dnUVZ8jxi4p2d(a)brightview.co.uk>, David
Kennedy <davidkennedy(a)nospamherethankyou.invalid> writes
>Duncan Kennedy wrote:
>> In message <B-idnTvzN8Q17F7XnZ2dnUVZ8rFi4p2d(a)brightview.co.uk>, David
>>Kennedy <davidkennedy(a)nospamherethankyou.invalid> writes
>>>>

>>> 2 LaCie here; the first - 80gig - is four years old and trouble
>>>free, the second - 500gig - 2 years old and also without fault.
>>>
>> I have 2 la Cies on Vista and now one on Mac without problems (touch
>>wood - not superstitious about anything but computers). Perhaps 2
>>la Cie's is a Kennedy thing! Also have a network WD that is a
>>couple of years old.
>>

>My daughter got the 80 gig as a backup at Uni and she is on a par with
>Zoara when it comes to laptops yet the HD has given her no problems at
>all.

I had forgotten about my two La Cei 80gig 2.5in externals - these have
different Linux distributions on them and boot from my Linux netbook
(only a 2 gig internal SSD). They live a rough life in the bag.

--
Duncan K
Downtown Dalgety Bay