From: pfgpowell on
For no apparent reason my iBook G4 suddenly gets it into its head to
ignore the IP address sent out by my wireless router, self-assign one
and cut me off from the internet. It has been happening again a few
minutes ago. It doesn't happen too often, but when it does, I simply
turn the wireless router off and on again, but this time it took a
while - at least 15 minutes - to get the correct IP address. It is
very irritating. Why does it do this and is there anything I can do to
stop the iBook doing this?
From: Chris Ridd on
On 2009-10-05 18:45:08 +0100, pfgpowell <pfg.powell(a)virgin.net> said:

> For no apparent reason my iBook G4 suddenly gets it into its head to
> ignore the IP address sent out by my wireless router, self-assign one
> and cut me off from the internet. It has been happening again a few
> minutes ago. It doesn't happen too often, but when it does, I simply
> turn the wireless router off and on again, but this time it took a
> while - at least 15 minutes - to get the correct IP address. It is
> very irritating. Why does it do this and is there anything I can do to
> stop the iBook doing this?

This happened to me on Leopard - the firewall was blocking the DHCP
client on the Mac for poorly understood reasons. You're running Tiger
according to your headers, but it might be worthwhile disabling your
Mac's firewall for a while to see if this makes a difference.

You're fairly safe behind a NATting router even if you don't have a firewall.
--
Chris

From: Fred McKenzie on
In article
<15bca847-fdf8-40df-8cce-bfac0158770b(a)m18g2000vbs.googlegroups.com>,
pfgpowell <pfg.powell(a)virgin.net> wrote:

> For no apparent reason my iBook G4 suddenly gets it into its head to
> ignore the IP address sent out by my wireless router, self-assign one
> and cut me off from the internet.

PFG-

Go to your Network System Preferences, click on the star symbol at the
bottom of the networks list and select Set Service Order. The method
you use to access the internet should be at the top of the Service Order
list.

I had the same problem you describe, except it was with my dial-up
modem. I solved it by moving External Modem to the top of the list.

Fred

Pages: 1
Prev: External HDs
Next: Whither Directory Utility