From: Rowland McDonnell on
Can anyone tell me what a directory called

..HFS+ Private Directory Data^M

(yep, including the ctrl-M on the end; displayed as ? normally)

is all about?

I've think I've been having issues with such directories not wanting to
be deleted because they are locked. Holding opt down when empying the
trash deals with things nicely, but I'd like to know what's going on.

Seems innocuous from the name, but how come I've had a few that are
locked? Or so it seems - I don't know how to tell if a directory is
locked from the Terminal. Could be something else.

It seems that these directories might be the ones causing the message
`Some directories have special permissions and cannot be copied' when I
use the Finder to move directories containing those odd ones. Or have I
mis-identified something?

(Oh yeah, someone please implant a chip in my brain so that I always
type on the correct keyboard. Got two keyboards, two mice, three
monitors on the desk (one iLamp, one 2G4 with two monitors hooked up).

Gonna add a 24" Intel iMac to the pile on this desk before I sort things
out and that's going to be very silly but I'm going to do it /because/
it's silly.)

Rowland.

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me
From: Peter Ceresole on
Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:

> Seems innocuous from the name, but how come I've had a few that are
> locked? Or so it seems - I don't know how to tell if a directory is
> locked from the Terminal. Could be something else.

What does 'get info' have to say? It can be very informative.
--
Peter
From: Rowland McDonnell on
Peter Ceresole <peter(a)cara.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Seems innocuous from the name, but how come I've had a few that are
> > locked? Or so it seems - I don't know how to tell if a directory is
> > locked from the Terminal. Could be something else.
>
> What does 'get info' have to say? It can be very informative.

Can't apply `Get info' to an object I can't see in the Finder.

Filenames beginning with . don't appear in the Finder.

At the moment, the directories in question do not exist - I've wiped the
disc and I'm re-installing 10.2.1 and additional apps and MacOS 9. I'll
be adding bits back and I suspect the troublesome directories will
re-appear.

What made me suspicious at all was that SuperDuper failed to copy the
disc (being worked on as described) in a fashion that it was happy with.
Something's not quite right.

Rowland.

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me
http://www.mag-uk.org http://www.bmf.co.uk
UK biker? Join MAG and the BMF and stop the Eurocrats banning biking

Pages: 1
Prev: BusyCal or Spanning Sync?
Next: External HDs