From: Moe Trin on
On Sun, 31 Jan 2010, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.redhat, in article
<4b656395$0$24619$426a74cc(a)news.free.fr>, Steve wrote:

> [...]

Remember that 'nslookup' doesn't use the same configuration files as
a regular application. Specifically, it ignores /etc/nsswitch.conf
and uses a different resolver library.

>>> We running our DNS server. Usually, I give our DNS server + one Open
>>> source DNS

Remember that DNS believes the first answer it receives - even if that
answer is "I don't know".

>>> Into Fedora, I have :

>>> /etc/resolv.conf
>>> nameserver 134.29.9.59 ; this is our DNS Server

[compton ~]$ host 134.29.9.59
59.9.29.134.IN-ADDR.ARPA domain name pointer d-9-59.tr.mnsu.edu
[compton ~]$

Are you at Minnesota State University, Mankato? Why are you posting
from France?

>>> nameserver 208.67.222.222 ; The opensource one : www.opendns.com

OK

>>> I compared with the hosts and resolv files on Centos. They are similar.
>>> today I made a nslookup www.bbc.co.uk
>>> I got :
>>> ;; Got SERVFAIL reply from 134.29.9.59, trying next server

RFC1035 -> RFC2136:

SERVFAIL 2 The name server encountered an internal failure while
processing this request, for example an operating system
error or a forwarding timeout.

Fix your name server.

http://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/docs/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO
http://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/docs/HOWTO/translations/fr/text/DNS-HOWTO.txt

>>> ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

Fix the routing/firewall/forwarder

>After many tests, I don't have anything stable from Fedora version 10 => 12
>I will stay with the version 9.. I have no choice...

Don't expose a Fedora 9 host to the Internet - it's obsolete and no longer
maintained.

>i think that there is some problems.....

You've got a configuration error - no idea what.

>I checked the DNS in each case... seems to be fine now... but the GUI
>cannot catch the website.

Verify (using a packet sniffer) that any DNS server you ask is resolving
names in a timely manner.

Old guy
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2