From: Steve on
despen(a)verizon.net wrote:
> Steve <Steve(a)noreply> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I tried to install F11 and F12 and the "yum" seems not to work very well..
>> I goggle it and I can see a lot of people having this kind of problem,
>> but I can't really see how to fix it
>>
>> - Is there a general way to fix it ?
>
> I've run both releases.
> "yum" works very well.
>
> Please give us a hint.
> What kind of problem are you having?

Hi,

I think that I have an idea of the problem...
I have the feeling that the repository place, is linked to the place
where you are installing Fedora.
I am in France and apparently, the system goes directly to the french
repository, which is not a http site , but an ftp site. Fedora cannot
cope with that..

I replace manual the 'baseurl' and it seems to be able to download what
it needs

Now, I am facing some other problems, that I can't explain...
Some of websites are available... some are not available.. ( when ALL of
them, will be displayed on CentOS....

I disactivated iptables and I disactivated selinux.. ( I think that it's
correctly removed.
As soon as I write a website into Mozilla, I have 50% of chance to view
the page... or I have a "page unavaible"
I checked the DNS : a nslookup of the "faulty" website, show me the
correct address...

Any idea what "feature" block my access ?

Thanks
From: despen on
Steve <Steve(a)noreply> writes:

> despen(a)verizon.net wrote:
>> Steve <Steve(a)noreply> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I tried to install F11 and F12 and the "yum" seems not to work very well..
>>> I goggle it and I can see a lot of people having this kind of problem,
>>> but I can't really see how to fix it
>>>
>>> - Is there a general way to fix it ?
>>
>> I've run both releases.
>> "yum" works very well.
>>
>> Please give us a hint.
>> What kind of problem are you having?
>>

> Hi,
>
> I think that I have an idea of the problem...
> I have the feeling that the repository place, is linked to the place
> where you are installing Fedora.
> I am in France and apparently, the system goes directly to the french
> repository, which is not a http site , but an ftp site. Fedora cannot
> cope with that..
>
> I replace manual the 'baseurl' and it seems to be able to download what
> it needs
>
> Now, I am facing some other problems, that I can't explain...
> Some of websites are available... some are not available.. ( when ALL
> of them, will be displayed on CentOS....
>
> I disactivated iptables and I disactivated selinux.. ( I think that
> it's correctly removed.
> As soon as I write a website into Mozilla, I have 50% of chance to
> view the page... or I have a "page unavaible"
> I checked the DNS : a nslookup of the "faulty" website, show me the
> correct address...
>
> Any idea what "feature" block my access ?

Sounds like DNS issues.

Post content of

/etc/hosts
/etc/resolv.conf
From: Steve on
despen(a)verizon.net wrote:
> Steve <Steve(a)noreply> writes:
>
>> despen(a)verizon.net wrote:

>>> I've run both releases.
>>> "yum" works very well.
>>>
>>> Please give us a hint.
>>> What kind of problem are you having?
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I think that I have an idea of the problem...
>> I have the feeling that the repository place, is linked to the place
>> where you are installing Fedora.
>> I am in France and apparently, the system goes directly to the french
>> repository, which is not a http site , but an ftp site. Fedora cannot
>> cope with that..
>>
>> I replace manual the 'baseurl' and it seems to be able to download what
>> it needs
>>
>> Now, I am facing some other problems, that I can't explain...
>> Some of websites are available... some are not available.. ( when ALL
>> of them, will be displayed on CentOS....
>>
>> I disactivated iptables and I disactivated selinux.. ( I think that
>> it's correctly removed.
>> As soon as I write a website into Mozilla, I have 50% of chance to
>> view the page... or I have a "page unavaible"
>> I checked the DNS : a nslookup of the "faulty" website, show me the
>> correct address...
>>
>> Any idea what "feature" block my access ?
>
> Sounds like DNS issues.
>
> Post content of
>
> /etc/hosts
> /etc/resolv.conf

Hi,
Yes, that sounds to be a DNS issue.
but we have 2 CentOS and 3 Ubuntu, which work fine !

Effectively, I wrote by hand. So, sorry for the typo :-(

We running our DNS server. Usually, I give our DNS server + one Open
source DNS

Into Fedora, I have :

/etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 134.29.9.59 ; this is our DNS Server
nameserver 208.67.222.222 ; The opensource one : www.opendns.com

/etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4
::1 localhost local.localdomain localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6

I compared with the hosts and resolv files on Centos. They are similar.
today I made a nslookup www.bbc.co.uk
I got :
;; Got SERVFAIL reply from 134.29.9.59, trying next server

I can do it 20 times... 20 times 'wrong' and another tome -> I received
the answer....

Apparently, I've got the problem with Fedora 10 11 et 12
Fedora 7 works fine...
Something has changed with the releases........ but i don't know what :-(

From: despen on
Steve <Steve(a)noreply> writes:

> despen(a)verizon.net wrote:
>> Steve <Steve(a)noreply> writes:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I think that I have an idea of the problem...
>>> I have the feeling that the repository place, is linked to the place
>>> where you are installing Fedora.
>>> I am in France and apparently, the system goes directly to the french
>>> repository, which is not a http site , but an ftp site. Fedora cannot
>>> cope with that..
>>>
>>> I replace manual the 'baseurl' and it seems to be able to download what
>>> it needs
>>>
>>> Now, I am facing some other problems, that I can't explain...
>>> Some of websites are available... some are not available.. ( when ALL
>>> of them, will be displayed on CentOS....
>>>
>>> I disactivated iptables and I disactivated selinux.. ( I think that
>>> it's correctly removed.
>>> As soon as I write a website into Mozilla, I have 50% of chance to
>>> view the page... or I have a "page unavaible"
>>> I checked the DNS : a nslookup of the "faulty" website, show me the
>>> correct address...
>>>
>>> Any idea what "feature" block my access ?
>>
>> Sounds like DNS issues.
>>
>> Post content of
>>
>> /etc/hosts
>> /etc/resolv.conf
>
> Hi,
> Yes, that sounds to be a DNS issue.
> but we have 2 CentOS and 3 Ubuntu, which work fine !
>
> Effectively, I wrote by hand. So, sorry for the typo :-(
>
> We running our DNS server. Usually, I give our DNS server + one Open
> source DNS
>
> Into Fedora, I have :
>
> /etc/resolv.conf
> nameserver 134.29.9.59 ; this is our DNS Server
> nameserver 208.67.222.222 ; The opensource one : www.opendns.com
>

> /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4
> ::1 localhost local.localdomain localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6
>

> I compared with the hosts and resolv files on Centos. They are similar.
> today I made a nslookup www.bbc.co.uk
> I got :
> ;; Got SERVFAIL reply from 134.29.9.59, trying next server
>
> I can do it 20 times... 20 times 'wrong' and another tome -> I
> received the answer....
>
> Apparently, I've got the problem with Fedora 10 11 et 12
> Fedora 7 works fine...
> Something has changed with the releases........ but i don't know what :-(

Shouldn't there be

"search" and "domain" entries in /etc/resolv.conf?
There are in mine.

Also look in /etc/nsswitch.conf.
Make sure the "host" line doesn't call for nis or nisplus.
It should be:

hosts: files dns
From: Steve on
despen(a)verizon.net wrote:
> Steve <Steve(a)noreply> writes:
>
>> despen(a)verizon.net wrote:

>>> Sounds like DNS issues.
>>>
>>> Post content of
>>>
>>> /etc/hosts
>>> /etc/resolv.conf
>> Hi,
>> Yes, that sounds to be a DNS issue.
>> but we have 2 CentOS and 3 Ubuntu, which work fine !
>>
>> Effectively, I wrote by hand. So, sorry for the typo :-(
>>
>> We running our DNS server. Usually, I give our DNS server + one Open
>> source DNS
>>
>> Into Fedora, I have :
>>
>> /etc/resolv.conf
>> nameserver 134.29.9.59 ; this is our DNS Server
>> nameserver 208.67.222.222 ; The opensource one : www.opendns.com
>>

>> /etc/hosts
>> 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4
>> ::1 localhost local.localdomain localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6
>>

>> I compared with the hosts and resolv files on Centos. They are similar.
>> today I made a nslookup www.bbc.co.uk
>> I got :
>> ;; Got SERVFAIL reply from 134.29.9.59, trying next server
>> ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
>>
>> I can do it 20 times... 20 times 'wrong' and another tome -> I
>> received the answer....
>>
>> Apparently, I've got the problem with Fedora 10 11 et 12
>> Fedora 7 works fine...
>> Something has changed with the releases........ but i don't know what :-(
>
> Shouldn't there be
>
> "search" and "domain" entries in /etc/resolv.conf?
> There are in mine.
>
> Also look in /etc/nsswitch.conf.
> Make sure the "host" line doesn't call for nis or nisplus.
> It should be:
>
> hosts: files dns

hi

After many tests, I don't have anything stable from Fedora version 10 => 12
I will stay with the version 9.. I have no choice...
i think that there is some problems.....

I checked the DNS in each case... seems to be fine now... but the GUI
cannot catch the website.
If you ask 10 times a specific website, it will appear 4 times.... but 6
times ..." Website not available"
I made the test on 2 differenet machines

All my Centos and Ubuntu are working fine on the network..
I reproduce exactly the same config on CentOS and on Fedora... I don't
have the same result / Behaviour

I am surprised that I cannot find anything clear answer on this problem
on google ?!?

Thanks anyway for your help

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2