From: Vips on
Hi All

What could be the optimal buffer for an asynchronous FIFO with the
Write clock at 50 MHz and the Read clock is 25 MHz

Data is coming as 8 bits with each clock write . There is no idle
cycle. We have to keep the synchronization latency also into account.

Thanks

Vips
From: Gabor on
On May 4, 2:29 am, Vips <thevipulsi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> What could be the optimal buffer for an asynchronous FIFO with the
> Write clock at 50 MHz and the Read clock is 25 MHz
>
> Data is coming as 8 bits with each clock write . There is no idle
> cycle. We have to keep the synchronization latency also into account.
>
> Thanks
>
> Vips

If I understand correctly you're asking how to calculate the
depth of the FIFO required for your application? When you
say "there is no idle cycle" I assume you mean that data
is written to the input on every clock cycle. For how long?
Obviously for this FIFO to work indefinitely, you would
need to adjust the output bandwidth to exceed the input
bandwidth or else its depth would need to be infinite.

For a fixed input packet length you can calculate the depth
as the size of the packet minus the number of words read
from the FIFO while the packet was being written. In
your case, assuming the FIFO read enable is always active
when the FIFO is not empty, there would only be a short
delay for flag synchronization, then one word read for
every two words written. So the depth would need to
be half the packet size plus the number of input clock
cycles required to start up the readout.

HTH,
Gabor
From: Kolja Sulimma on
On 4 Mai, 08:27, Vips <thevipulsi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> What could be the optimal buffer for an asynchronous FIFO with the
> source clock
>
> at 50 MHz and the Read clock is 25 MHz
>
> Data is clming as 8 bits with each clock write . There is no idle
> cycle. We have to keep the synchronization latancy also into account.

If you want to run that for one year 772 TByte FIFO should be enough.
(The FIFO content will grow with 25MByte/s)
Should fit in a single rack enclosure without problems.

Kolja
From: Phil Jessop on

"Kolja Sulimma" <ksulimma(a)googlemail.com> wrote in message
> On 4 Mai, 08:27, Vips <thevipulsi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Guys
>>
>> What could be the optimal buffer for an asynchronous FIFO with the
>> source clock
>>
>> at 50 MHz and the Read clock is 25 MHz
>>
>> Data is clming as 8 bits with each clock write . There is no idle
>> cycle. We have to keep the synchronization latancy also into account.
>
> If you want to run that for one year 772 TByte FIFO should be enough.
> (The FIFO content will grow with 25MByte/s)
> Should fit in a single rack enclosure without problems.
>
> Kolja

Actually if it is to run for a year then 394TB should be adequate - half the
amount. It only needs to fill for 6 months, it will take the other 6 months
to unload it before the system turns off. Also only half a rack enclosure
required.

Phil

From: Gabor on
On May 4, 2:43 pm, "Phil Jessop" <p...(a)noname.org> wrote:
> "Kolja Sulimma" <ksuli...(a)googlemail.com> wrote in message

> > On 4 Mai, 08:27, Vips <thevipulsi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi Guys
>
> >> What could be the optimal buffer for an asynchronous FIFO with the
> >> source clock
>
> >> at 50 MHz and the Read clock is 25 MHz
>
> >> Data is clming as 8 bits with each clock write . There is no idle
> >> cycle. We have to keep the synchronization latancy also into account.
>
> > If you want to run that for one year 772 TByte FIFO should be enough.
> > (The FIFO content will grow with 25MByte/s)
> > Should fit in a single rack enclosure without problems.
>
> > Kolja
>
> Actually if it is to run for a year then 394TB should be adequate - half the
> amount. It only needs to fill for 6 months, it will take the other 6 months
> to unload it before the system turns off. Also only half a rack enclosure
> required.
>
> Phil

Thank you Phil. You just saved the OP a ton of money :-)
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: FIFO Depth Calculation
Next: Unecessary simulation paths