From: jeff227 on

>There is no need to design DSP systems from analog
>specs and limitations, just because the task assigned
>to the DSP system can be solved by an analog system.

True. But often those limitations is what gives something character and
you WANT them in the DSP solution. Audio is a good example.
From: Ron N. on
Rune Allnor wrote:
> Yes, but they are designed to be automobiles, not "horseless
> carts".
>
> An automobile and a horse cart serve the same purpose:
> They facilitate some sort of transportation of either people
> or goods. As such, they share a couple of mutual design
> factors: They need a position for the driver (probably not the
> correct English term for the horse cart) and they need
> some space where to put the goods or passengers they
> have to transport.
>
> And just about there the similarities end. Horses need to be
> fed and watered, they need to rest and sleep regularly.
> There is a limit to how heavy load one horse can pull.
>
> The automobiles can pull orders of magnitude more load
> at orders of magnitude higher speed, for orders of magnitude
> longer distances. The price to pay is that the automobiles
> require a carefully prepared network of roads, whereas
> the horse carts only require rudimentary dirt roads.
>
> Nevertheless, I would find it ridiculous if somebody
> suggested that an automobile should be designed to
> meet the limitations of the horse carriage, just because
> they happen to serve the same functional purpose.

Not at all, and in fact they sell quite well. Wagons in
toy stores and bicycle shops more resemble carts than
Mercedes's. They meet the lesser constraints using far
less parts, and don't require the added costs of electronic
anti-lock braking computers.

IMHO. YMMV.
--
rhn A.T nicholson d.0.t C-o-M