From: jeff227 on
Great info, Ron. Thank you for the clarification.

From: Ron N. on
jeff227 wrote:
> >By the way, bandwidth of these filters in not usually defined by some
> >number of dB down on the skirt as it is with many analog filters. If the
>
> >passband spec is +/- n dB, the passband is over when the response is out
>
> >of spec. The filter is characterized by a passband where it meets some
> >spec, a transition band where any response (technically, including a
> >peak) is acceptable, and a stopband with some minimum attenuation.
> >
> >Jerry
>

> Yes, I understand, this is true for many applications.
>
> However, I am using these FIR filters in a linear phase, multi-point
> crossover in an audio application. The reason the -6dB point is
> significant is because it is the point where, A) HP and LP filter outputs
> sum to unity and, B) a HP filter can be directly computed by spectral
> inversion of the LP coefficients.

And if you look at the code, spectral inversion is how a
filter for a given center frequency fc is generated.
cos(i * 0 / (fs/2)) means don't invert for a lowpass filter.
cos(i * (fs/2)/(fs/2)) means spectrally invert for a
highpass filter. fc values in between 0 and fs/2 move the
frequency domain rectangle in between a low and high pass
to create a bandpass filter, all in the same one line of
Basic code. A little terse I admit.

IMHO. YMMV.
--
Ron N.
http://www.nicholson.com/rhn/dsp.html

From: Jack Ace on

jeff227 ha scritto:

> Has anyone come up with a "cookbook" for simple FIR filters similar to
> RBJ's IIR cookbook?
>
> I am looking for audio filters (i.e., mild rolloff, fast compute) using
> relatively short FIRs (50 coeffs max). Reason for FIR is that I need
> linear phase. Reason for cookbook is that I need to calculate the
> coefficients as part of the routine (so the filter will work at different
> sample rates). Window-based FIRs would probably be most efficient for
> audio purposes.
>
> I have started compiling bits of code for Window-based FIRs but it would
> nice not to re-invent the wheel if a "cookbook" already exists!
>
> Thank you

have a look at "DSP Filter Cookbook " by John Lane et Al.

it has a focus on audio application and treats FIR as well as IIR.

http://www.amazon.com/DSP-Filter-Cookbook-Electronics/dp/0790612046/sr=1-2/qid=1166000919/ref=sr_1_2/105-0199217-5635669?ie=UTF8&s=books.

I never read it... just browsed some page.
I hope it could help you.

Bye
jack

From: Jack Ace on
I forgot to tell you about the book website
http://www.dspaudiocookbook.com/

you can Download DSP Filter Cookbook examples (132k): gargle.zip

Table of Contents and a Summary also available.

Bye
Jack

From: Rune Allnor on

Jack Ace skrev:
> jeff227 ha scritto:
>
> > Has anyone come up with a "cookbook" for simple FIR filters similar to
> > RBJ's IIR cookbook?
> >
> > I am looking for audio filters (i.e., mild rolloff, fast compute) using
> > relatively short FIRs (50 coeffs max). Reason for FIR is that I need
> > linear phase. Reason for cookbook is that I need to calculate the
> > coefficients as part of the routine (so the filter will work at different
> > sample rates). Window-based FIRs would probably be most efficient for
> > audio purposes.
> >
> > I have started compiling bits of code for Window-based FIRs but it would
> > nice not to re-invent the wheel if a "cookbook" already exists!
> >
> > Thank you
>
> have a look at "DSP Filter Cookbook " by John Lane et Al.
>
> it has a focus on audio application and treats FIR as well as IIR.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/DSP-Filter-Cookbook-Electronics/dp/0790612046/sr=1-2/qid=1166000919/ref=sr_1_2/105-0199217-5635669?ie=UTF8&s=books.
>
> I never read it... just browsed some page.
> I hope it could help you.
>
> Bye
> jack

Seems about the right size I would expect for a decent filter cookbook
-- a couple
of hundred pages.

Rune