From: Randy Yates on
"Rune Allnor" <allnor(a)tele.ntnu.no> writes:

> Normally, you are not very conscious about any such factors as
> listed above.

Unless your wife is driving...
--
% Randy Yates % "Though you ride on the wheels of tomorrow,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % you still wander the fields of your
From: Ron N. on
Rune Allnor wrote:
> Compare it to learning how to drive a car.

There's a lot of early learning experience that's involved
here. Walking on the sidewalk, riding tricycles, bicycles,
and boards all help one learn to flow with traffic and not run
into people well before one ever sits behind the steering
wheel of a deadly weapon.

I tend to think of DSP filters as fancy optimizations on
what I attempted to do using a few R's and C's out of
the junk bin when I was a kid. So I prefer to start dirt
simple, and only use fancier methods when a more
optimal solution is desired than some simple and
transparent implementation will provide.

IMHO. YMMV.
--
Ron N.
DSP page: http://www.nicholson.com/rhn/dsp.html

From: Randy Yates on
"Ron N." <rhnlogic(a)yahoo.com> writes:
> [...]

Hey Ron,

I don't see Mitra's text in your references of the Wikipedia
article. Are you unaware of it? It is currently neck and neck with
Proakis as my best theoretical DSP book.
--
% Randy Yates % "...the answer lies within your soul
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % 'cause no one knows which side
From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

Ron N. wrote:

> I tend to think of DSP filters as fancy optimizations on
> what I attempted to do using a few R's and C's out of
> the junk bin when I was a kid.

This is a very well known misconception. It leads to the wrong
conclusions and bad solutions. Unfortunately, there is a lot of that.

Although one can build a digital model of an analog filter, generally
the DSP filters are NOT the simulation of the analog filters.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant

http://www.abvolt.com
From: Ron N. on
Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote:
> Ron N. wrote:
>
> > I tend to think of DSP filters as fancy optimizations on
> > what I attempted to do using a few R's and C's out of
> > the junk bin when I was a kid.
>
> This is a very well known misconception. It leads to the wrong
> conclusions and bad solutions. Unfortunately, there is a lot of that.

Yes. I agree. However it helps to know how and why
a bad solution fails in order to understand why a better
solution fixes those issues. More complicated solutions
often have even more failure modes; and there's a lot
of that as well.

IMHO. YMMV.
--
rhn A.T nicholson d.0.t C-o-M