From: Rune Allnor on

Fred Marshall skrev:

> It's pretty simple to extend the P-M approach to an arbitrary shape and
> arbitrary weights.

You are right. I would think a lot of people might contest a claim
that P-M filter design can fit into a cookbook DIY context. The P-M
algorithm requires some pretty esoteric programmig; not something
a casual DSP hobbyist would be expected to handle.

Rune

From: Rune Allnor on

Ron N. skrev:
> jeff227 wrote:
> > Has anyone come up with a "cookbook" for simple FIR filters similar to
> > RBJ's IIR cookbook?
>
> Here's a filter cookbook that uses a simple scaled windowed sinc
> to create arbitrary single cutoff FIR filters:
>
> http://www.musicdsp.org/files/wsfir.h
>
> Basically, you get only three degrees of freedom: sample rate,
> filter length, and (stop or) passband width.

How can a FIR filter design newbie be expected to choose a
good filter length?

Rune

From: Fred Marshall on

"Rune Allnor" <allnor(a)tele.ntnu.no> wrote in message

> Fred Marshall skrev:
>
>> It's pretty simple to extend the P-M approach to an arbitrary shape and
>> arbitrary weights.
>
> You are right. I would think a lot of people might contest a claim
> that P-M filter design can fit into a cookbook DIY context. The P-M
> algorithm requires some pretty esoteric programmig; not something
> a casual DSP hobbyist would be expected to handle.
>
> Rune

Rune,

Agreed. I was responding to r b-j's comment about arbitrary shapes, etc.
Maybe Meteor does it but I'm not so sure it's that accessible.
On the other hand, a program much like P-M could be made available as a
function call that would take arbitrary shapes and weights. My question
was: is this to the point and useful? The notion wasn't that a beginner
should do the programming - just make the function calls.

Regarding length: I've never been too keen on length estimators because
iterating on length is so easy (and fast) to do under many circumstances.
That and the fact that length can be estimated in a gross way as the
reciprocal of the narrowest transition width. At least that estimate tells
you if you are in dreamland.

Fred

From: Ron N. on
Rune Allnor wrote:
> Ron N. skrev:
> > jeff227 wrote:
> > > Has anyone come up with a "cookbook" for simple FIR filters similar to
> > > RBJ's IIR cookbook?
> >
> > Here's a filter cookbook that uses a simple scaled windowed sinc
> > to create arbitrary single cutoff FIR filters:
> >
> > http://www.musicdsp.org/files/wsfir.h
> >
> > Basically, you get only three degrees of freedom: sample rate,
> > filter length, and (stop or) passband width.
>
> How can a FIR filter design newbie be expected to choose a
> good filter length?

I suppose a nice addition to these cookbook filters would
be a function to return estimates of the transition band,
passband ripple, and peak stopband ripple for a given set
of the 3 filter parameters plus the word size.

I note that this was not done for RBJ's IIR cookbook, where
the number of bits of precision can seriously affect the QOR
for certain combinations of sample rate and "turning" frequency.

IMHO. YMMV.
--
rhn A.T nicholson d.0.t C-o-M

From: Ron N. on
robert bristow-johnson wrote:
> Ron N. wrote:
> >
> > Can't one just precalculate one filter and shift it about?
>
> yeah, probably. i presume you mean "scale" instead of "shift". (or do
> you mean "shift and overlap-add" for additional features?)

Both. Multiplying a sinc by a cosine in the time domain will
shift the rectangle in the frequency domain, thus controlling
the center frequency of the filter. Scaling the width of the sinc
will set the bandwidth. Scaling the height will set the gain.

IMHO. YMMV.
--
Ron N.
http://www.nicholson.com/rhn