From: Ron N. on
jeff227 wrote:
> >If you are going to calculate on the fly, you were probably want to use a
>
> >windowing method to calculate the coefficients. This approach is routely
>
> >discussed in many DSP texts.
>
> Yes. I have now worked up, with all of your help and inputs, exactly what
> I was hoping to find. It is a very simple Windowed Sinc FIR with
> coefficients calculated at run time. It maintains the same corner
> frequency and bandwidth regardless of sample rate (within Nyquist limits).
> It may not be brilliant or optimal but it works well and is simple and
> fast to compute.

So how did you choose your window? And how did you determine
whether the attenuation and ripple met your requirements for your
full range of sample rates and cutoff frequencies needed?

> The first "trick" to making it scale to any sample rate was to scale the
> number of taps. Because nTaps is an integer, the bandwidth and corner
> frequency will deviate slightly at certain sample rates. These variations
> are small, however, and not a problem in my audio application.
>
> I prefer this approach to pre-calculating and storing coefficients for the
> simple reason that it will accommodate ANY sample rate, not just the common
> ones. It also allows the filter cutoff to be moved at run time.

(seeing if you did your "exercises for the student" as per the comments
:-)
--
rhn A.T nicholson d.0.t C-o-M

From: jeff227 on
>So how did you choose your window? And how did you determine
>whether the attenuation and ripple met your requirements for your
>full range of sample rates and cutoff frequencies needed?

>(seeing if you did your "exercises for the student" as per the comments
>:-)

Well, I will ALWAYS be a student regardless of how much I learn!

I am still fiddling with the Window choice but my requirements are fairly
simple - I want a transition bandwidth over about a 1 octave (yes octave,
not Hz) range and a flat passband. A 1 octave passband means the corner
frequency (in Hz) is equal to the transition bandwidth (in Hz).

Stopband attenuation of -40dB is PLENTY for this application so I am using
the von Hann window along with the appropriate nTaps. It gives the
transition band I want with -40dB to the first lobe in the stopband and
uses minimal (not optimal) coefficients (for speed). The passband is very
flat up to Fc whereafter it rises slightly then drops off.

According to the plots I have created, the bandwidth and corner is staying
where it should regardless of sample rate (just like I wanted).

But, like I said, I'm still fiddling and still learning. Probably change
everything tomorrow! :)
From: jeff227 on
>A lot of people have that background. Others -- me among
>them -- don't.
>
>In my twisted world, DSP is mathematics applied to solve
>real-world problems. Whatever connection there is to
>hands-on RLC cirquits is mainly of historical ineterst,
>and any analogies quickly become obsolete.

Rune, I absolutely agree that DSP, in some cases, is completely removed
from analog ideas.

HOWEVER, some of my most popular products right now contain VACUUM TUBES.
Why? Because DSP has yet to duplicate the sound.

It's great to forge new ground but don't forget the past while you're
doing it. :)
From: robert bristow-johnson on
jeff227 wrote:
> >A lot of people have that background. Others -- me among
> >them -- don't.
> >
> >In my twisted world, DSP is mathematics applied to solve
> >real-world problems. Whatever connection there is to
> >hands-on RLC cirquits is mainly of historical ineterst,
> >and any analogies quickly become obsolete.
>

> Rune, I absolutely agree that DSP, in some cases, is completely removed
> from analog ideas.
>
> HOWEVER, some of my most popular products right now contain VACUUM TUBES.
> Why? Because DSP has yet to duplicate the sound.

i might agree with that, but point out that products such as the Line6
pod, do a pretty damn good job, if not perfect. there are so many
weird things to account for when emulating vacuum tube distortion. one
that i didn't know until recently was about the mechanical coupling of
the amp bottom (the case with the loudspeakers) to the amp head (the
amplifier with the vacuum tube components). the behavior and sound was
different if the head was mounted on the bottom than if it was set
aside on another pedestal. the vibrations of the loudspeakers were
coupled to some small degree to the internal electrodes, the cathode,
plate, grid (and screen and supressor) of the tube to give it a time
varying behavior that was correlated to the signal. modeling that must
be a male offspring of a copulating female canine.

also, even if i am alone in this, i see great value to conceptually
coupling the concepts of digital filtering to analog filtering. in
both we have these memoryless components (or operations) that scale
quantities and sum quantities. in both we have components that
necessarily have memory that are used to discriminate one frequency
from another. in analog filters, these are reactive elements, usually
capacitors and their memory is cumulative. in digital filters, these
memory components are simply computer memory and they act like delays.

so in both cases, we assemble circuits (that is an appropriate word for
it in both cases) that scale and add quantities, but such would not
discriminate different frequencies. so in both, we add a component
that has a concept of time and the past, so we can discriminate
frequencies. that is where conceptually these analog and digital
filters are comparable.

From: Rune Allnor on

jeff227 skrev:
> >A lot of people have that background. Others -- me among
> >them -- don't.
> >
> >In my twisted world, DSP is mathematics applied to solve
> >real-world problems. Whatever connection there is to
> >hands-on RLC cirquits is mainly of historical ineterst,
> >and any analogies quickly become obsolete.
>

> Rune, I absolutely agree that DSP, in some cases, is completely removed
> from analog ideas.
>
> HOWEVER, some of my most popular products right now contain VACUUM TUBES.
> Why? Because DSP has yet to duplicate the sound.

What do you mean by "most popular"? Where are these products?
What are their market shares?

People who continued to use horses for years after everybody
else turned to motorized help, said something similar; "One can
talk with a horse, not with a tractor." To them, the social aspect
of being two living creatures working together was more important
than power, cost efficiency etc.

The fact of the matter is that hifi enthusiasts have hard times
ahead. I never considered myself to be one, but after I got my
MP3 player, maybe I am becoming one. Even my poor 20-year
old stereo rack sounds way better than even a half-decent MP3.
Sound quality does not matter these days, as long as it is above
some some low minimum. What matters is small size of the player,
and easy access to low-price music.

Rune