From: whygee on
General Schvantzkoph wrote:
>> Does it mean that... Win7 has killed Linux ? :-D
> Of course not, Linux is a vastly more productive environment.
no doubt about it ;-)

> The high
> performance simulators, NC and VCS, are Linux only. It's vastly easier to
> use multiple machines, I'm currently sshed into a 4 core i7 and two Core2
> boxes that are running Verilog simulations and Quartus builds. I'm also
> sshed into a remote system that has SignalTap running. I'm doing the
> Quartus builds on the i7 and I'm rsyncing the results over to the remote
> system. Try doing any of that with Windows. When I run Xilinx tools I do
> that with scripts which is easier to do on Linux although the scripts can
> run on Windows if you have Cygwin installed.

thanks for the details :-)
I'll maybe quote or use them one day...

yg
--
http://ygdes.com / http://yasep.org
From: Petter Gustad on
General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph(a)yahoo.com> writes:

> that with scripts which is easier to do on Linux although the scripts can
> run on Windows if you have Cygwin installed.

But Cygwin is slooow, especially file access, e.g using git under
Cygwin is almost impossible.

Petter
--
..sig removed by request.
From: David Brown on
On 08/05/2010 10:57, Petter Gustad wrote:
> General Schvantzkoph<schvantzkoph(a)yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> that with scripts which is easier to do on Linux although the scripts can
>> run on Windows if you have Cygwin installed.
>
> But Cygwin is slooow, especially file access, e.g using git under
> Cygwin is almost impossible.
>
> Petter

Where possible, use msys (and mingw) instead of cygwin. Cygwin goes a
lot further in its posix support and simulation of a linux-style system.
But that means more layers to handle the fundamental differences
between Linux and Windows, and that costs in performance even if you
don't need it. Msys/mingw is simpler - you don't get features that
windows can't support, but what you do get runs at native speeds.

I don't know if git will run with msys (and something like ActivePerl),
but if it does, it will be much faster than with cygwin. Slower than
under Linux, but not as bad.
From: Adrian on
On May 6, 8:26 am, General Schvantzkoph <schvantzk...(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:
> Quartus 9.1 has parallel processing support on Linux, I've never used it
> on Windows so I don't know if it also has parallel support on Windows.

Hi, all parallel features are identical in both Windows and Linux.

Cheers,
Adrian Ludwin
Altera Corp