From: Eric on
Hi,

Does someone have some benchmarks comparing the compilation time
between the Windows 64b and Linux 64b editions of the Xilinx ISE
Design Suite? I need some arguments to invest in the right development
platform.

Many thanks.

Eric
From: Patrick Maupin on
On May 5, 10:49 pm, Eric <delage.e...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does someone have some benchmarks comparing the compilation time
> between the Windows 64b and Linux 64b editions of the Xilinx ISE
> Design Suite? I need some arguments to invest in the right development
> platform.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Eric

Sorry, no real benchmarks here, but what's to invest? Ubuntu is
free :-)

Regards,
Pat
From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Wed, 05 May 2010 20:49:18 -0700, Eric wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does someone have some benchmarks comparing the compilation time between
> the Windows 64b and Linux 64b editions of the Xilinx ISE Design Suite? I
> need some arguments to invest in the right development platform.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Eric

The parallel processing modes only work in Linux, at least up to ISE 11.
I don't know if they've added parallel support for Windows in ISE 12.
Quartus 9.1 has parallel processing support on Linux, I've never used it
on Windows so I don't know if it also has parallel support on Windows.

From: Nial Stewart on
> The parallel processing modes only work in Linux, at least up to ISE 11.
> I don't know if they've added parallel support for Windows in ISE 12.
> Quartus 9.1 has parallel processing support on Linux, I've never used it
> on Windows so I don't know if it also has parallel support on Windows.

'General',

Do the parallel processing modes make much difference in your experience?

Nial.

From: Petter Gustad on
General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph(a)yahoo.com> writes:

> The parallel processing modes only work in Linux, at least up to ISE 11.
> I don't know if they've added parallel support for Windows in ISE 12.

Is this parallel processing for a single build, or is it different
building different seeds on different machines? I remember that the
latter was only available on Linux (and Solaris at the time) for ISE
since it required remote shell operation.

> Quartus 9.1 has parallel processing support on Linux, I've never used it
> on Windows so I don't know if it also has parallel support on Windows.

I think it's the same on Windows, even though I mostly run Quartus
under Linux.

In my experience the Linux and Windows versions run at pretty much the
same pace.

Petter
--
..sig removed by request.