From: Baho Utot on
Artist wrote:

> Now I have a new problem. Before I was able to FTP, to get the website
> on the server, I used Tunnelier SSH to upload the site. Now I cannot
> overwrite any files that Tunnelier put there. The error message I get is:
>
> "An FTP error occurred - cannot put contact.htm.
> Access Denied. The file may not exist, or
> there could be a permission problem."
>
> I am able to upload a test page by FTP and overwrite and delete that
> test page by means of FTP. There is no difference in permissions between
> files put there by FTP and SSH. These are -rw-r--r-- for both. What
> other permissions are there?

what user owns the file(s)

From: Baho Utot on
Sidney Lambe wrote:

> On comp.os.linux.setup, Sidney Lambe <sidneylambe(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

>>> I executed this statement. It did not make a difference.
>>
>> Oh well, worth a shot.
>>
>> You probably should check what's going on with iptables: iptables
>> -L and conceivably remove that rule, although it may have been
>> there already. Should have been, unless there's another way tp
>> accomplish the same thing with iptables... Does iptables ignore
>> redundant rules or just add the new one? Don't know. To delete
>> it:
>>
>> iptables -D INPUT -p tcp --dport 21 -j ACCEPT
>>

>>> On my system it is located at /sbin/iptables, rather than a
>>> subdirectory of /usr
>>>

>> Good luck. I don't have any other good ideas at present.
>>
>> Maybe your ISP blocks that port and you'll have to choose
>> one over 1000....
>>
>> Sid
>>

> You know, I'd forget about the VPS stuff and get it working
> as a simple FTP server first, removing a layer of complexity.
> If it works in the basic configuration, and doesn't as a VPS
> server, then you know that's where the problem is...
>
> Sid

Idiot!

From: Baho Utot on
Sidney Lambe wrote:

> On comp.os.linux.setup, Artist <Artist(a)sj.speakeasy.net> wrote:
>> Sidney Lambe wrote:

>>> Could be you need to open a doorway for FTP in your firewall.
>>> If you are using iptables this should work:
>>>
>>> /usr/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 21 -j ACCEPT
>
>> I executed this statement. It did not make a difference.
>
> Oh well, worth a shot.
>
> You probably should check what's going on with iptables: iptables
> -L and conceivably remove that rule, although it may have been
> there already. Should have been, unless there's another way tp
> accomplish the same thing with iptables... Does iptables ignore
> redundant rules or just add the new one? Don't know. To delete
> it:
>
> iptables -D INPUT -p tcp --dport 21 -j ACCEPT
>

>> On my system it is located at /sbin/iptables, rather than a
>> subdirectory of /usr
>>

> Good luck. I don't have any other good ideas at present.
>
> Maybe your ISP blocks that port and you'll have to choose
> one over 1000....
>
> Sid

Idiot
From: Artist on
Baho Utot wrote:
> Artist wrote:
>
>> Now I have a new problem. Before I was able to FTP, to get the website
>> on the server, I used Tunnelier SSH to upload the site. Now I cannot
>> overwrite any files that Tunnelier put there. The error message I get is:
>>
>> "An FTP error occurred - cannot put contact.htm.
>> Access Denied. The file may not exist, or
>> there could be a permission problem."
>>
>> I am able to upload a test page by FTP and overwrite and delete that
>> test page by means of FTP. There is no difference in permissions between
>> files put there by FTP and SSH. These are -rw-r--r-- for both. What
>> other permissions are there?
>>

> what user owns the file(s)

It was indeed an ownership problem. All the files were owned by root. I
changed the ownership of them all and I am now able to overwrite any
file using FTP. Thanks for the hint. :)

--
If you desire to respond directly remove the "sj." from the domain name
part of my email address. It is a spam jammer.