From: Z.K. on
I seem not to be able to access ftp sites either with a browser and it
does not matter which one or with an ftp client. I get a 425 error. I
was able to connect though using the ftp command line program from a
command prompt. The firewall seems to be fine though I did not really
think that was the problem. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas why
only the command line program works. I have two PCs, Windows XP and
Windows 7 and they both exhibit the same problem.

Ok, well I set my Westell DSL modem(Verizon) firewall from medium to low
and now it works. I looked at the medium settings and I don't see
anything wrong.
Port 21 seems to be allowed.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas.
From: John Wunderlich on
"Z.K." <nospam(a)nospam.net> wrote in

> I seem not to be able to access ftp sites either with a browser
> and it does not matter which one or with an ftp client. I get a
> 425 error. I was able to connect though using the ftp command
> line program from a command prompt. The firewall seems to be fine
> though I did not really think that was the problem. I was
> wondering if anyone had any ideas why only the command line
> program works. I have two PCs, Windows XP and Windows 7 and they
> both exhibit the same problem.
>
> Ok, well I set my Westell DSL modem(Verizon) firewall from medium
> to low and now it works. I looked at the medium settings and I
> don't see anything wrong.
> Port 21 seems to be allowed.
>
> I was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

Just a guess, but it may be an "Active" mode vs "Passive" mode
problem. The command line FTP program uses only Active mode although
most other recent FTP clients and web browsers use Passive Mode by
default. Check your client's configuration options for an
Active/Passive setting. In Internet Explorer, there's a setting in:
Tools->Internet Options->Advanced(Tab)->Browsing
-> Use Passive FTP (for Firewall Compatibility)

HTH,
John
From: Jerry on
I can suggest a good ftp program called "WS_FTP". There is a free version
of this that you can get at www.downloads.com. It is easy to use and works
as good as or better than the paid version. Good Luck